cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_E
Level 4

Setting the minimum spec CPU etc.

I posted this in the Developer 8 forum (which is what I'm currently using) but although it seems to be getting a lot of views, I don't seem to be getting many answers. However, the same question is probably relevant to InstallShield 2011 which I'm thinking of buying....

For each feature in my project, I can specify install conditions. For example, I can specify "PhysicalMemory" if I want the feature to only get installed if there's X amount of memory. There's also a property called "Intel" which I assume I can use to specify the minimum spec CPU.

Unfortunately, though, I can't find any information about setting these parameters. e.g. my app needs to run on a processor which supports SSE extensions. Intel first introduced this in the Pentium III - so how do I specify that as my minimum spec CPU?

Ditto for physical memory. What actual value do I enter to specify say, 2GB as being the minimum memory requirement?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

you'll want to write some script to parse out the %PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER% environment variable and set a property to be used in a condition. Here's what it is on my machine which is a Core 2 Duo on a 32 bit OS:

PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel

The pentium 3 was Family 6, model 7:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors

Anything above that should be what you're looking for. For the Intel property, alas, this only gives you Family, which Family 6 goes all the way back to the Pentium Pro days, predating SSE.

With regards to memory, 2gb would be something like

PhysicalMemory >= 2048

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
John_E
Level 4

Great reply Cary, thanks! This morning I've been looking at the Help file info for creating InstallScript files. I've gathered that I need to start by adding a file to my project called "Setup.nul"

Unfortunately, the Help info doesn't say where exactly I need to add the file. Can I add it to any component or do I need to create a component specially for it? And would it benefit from having its own feature?

Or to put it another way.... once I've created a Setup.nul file, how will the InstallScript viewer know about it and how will it know where to find it?
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

There's an 'InstallScript' view for this, where you'll right click where it says 'Script Files'.

Then, when you create a custom action, you'll have to point to an exported function. The default script will have MyFunction exported for you.
0 Kudos