cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
messie
Level 3

Setting Access Rights to all users

Hi,

I need to store an IniFile to COMMONAPPDATAFOLDER. But Vista denies write access to this file until I set the access rights manually as admin.

How can I manage to set the rights for this IniFile to all users?

Thanks, Messie
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Are you using a Setup.exe file for your release? If so, you can have InstallShield create the Setup.exe manifest so that when an end user launches your Setup.exe file, Windows Vista displays a UAC consent or credential prompts for elevated privileges. You'd want to select Administrator for the Required Execution Level setting (in the Releases view > select the release > Setup.exe tab).

For more information, see Minimizing the Number of User Account Control Prompts During Installation.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
messie
Level 3

Hi Debbie,

thanks for your help. Maybe my description was not precisely. The installation procedure itself works fine and it needs admin rights due to hardware access.
But afterwards the program may not store settings to its IniFile stored in the COMMONAPPDATAFOLDER path. To change it, I have to set the access rights for this file before it is installed (see attached menu). But what entry do I need to set full rights for any user?

Thanks, Messie
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Did you try entering Everyone as the user name?
0 Kudos
messie
Level 3

Hi Debbie,

meanwhile I tried everyone, but this didn't do (see attachment).
Vista denies installation (security settings could not be set because Vista-Test/everyone is no valid user or user group)
So I still need a solution. Yet I didn't find any information about these settings.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I think you may need to enter Everyone as the user name, but leave the domain field blank.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
messie
Level 3

[EDIT]
Yes, this seems to work. Thanks for your help!

It would be nice to have some informations about the keywords used by the msi.

Thanks, Messie
0 Kudos
tstrong
Level 2

Hi, I am having a similar problem.

I have used the Everyone user account and set the appropriate permissions for the [INSTALLDIR] which works fine for a Vista or any other local install. However, by using the Everyone account it causes an install permission problem on a shared folder within a domain.

Is there a way around this? To I need two different installs?

Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos