cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panamega
Level 4

Installshield or Installanywhere?

I'm looking for an installer for a java app and have been given the above two choices. But i'm completely new to this so am having a hard time figuring out myself which one should I go for. I played around with the eval versions a bit but didn't get any deep insights on what one has over the other (except that IA seemed a bit easier). So, I have come looking for a list of features present in one and absent in the other. Kindly kindly help me with that

ps: really sorry if this is the wrong forum to put this in
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you want to target non-Windows platforms, you'll want to use InstallAnywhere; if it's only Windows, then either InstallShield 2008 or InstallAnywhere 2008 should do the trick.

InstallAnywhere does have some useful features for installing Java applications, such as the ability to create native-launcher executables that will search for a JVM or use a bundled JVM to run your Java code.

For lists of features in general, please see the InstallAnywhere home page and the InstallShield home page.
0 Kudos
panamega
Level 4

Does either of them support creating customzied installation screens with custom buttons and other controls?
I have heard that IS supports modifying xml files but can either IS/IA create a custom screen and allow modification of the xml/text file with values entered by the user?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Both products support custom end-user dialog boxes/panels, though the techniques for putting them together are different. Similarly, both products have the capability to modify XML or text files or INI files, though the specifics are different for each product...
0 Kudos