cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kabbin44
Level 2

Self-Registering of DLL's fails during installation

Hi -
I am a newbie (please bear with me) to InstallShield (& MS based technologies - am a Unix guy). I inherited a MS product for my company which is being packaged using Wise and we want to switch to using IS.
I am using the IS 2008 (trial version) to prototype the installation being done via Wise where in the existing Wise setup is set for the dll's to self-register upon installation. However, when I do the same on IS, and try installing, its throws a error msg stating "the xyz.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147024769...." What am I doing wrong when I include these components into the project.
The components (dll's/exe's) are being built in VS2008.
I am using the Basic MSI Project template to create the package, since this product installs these dll's/exe's onto the client machine and create certain shortcuts/registry entries. Its a pretty straight forward installation. Also during inclusion of these components into the IS project, I avoided the "Dependencies from scan at build" option. Only pre-requisite for this installation to go thru' on the client machine is it needs to have .NET 3.0 installed.
Any pointers will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Sujit
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That HRESULT value, 0x8007007F, indicates "The specified procedure could not be found." This suggests that the DLL does not have the exported self-registration entry point required, and thus is probably not intended to be self-registered.
0 Kudos