cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blood_on_ice
Level 4

Search XML in a resumed install (restricted engine)

Hello,

I have an XML System Search, which works fine in the first installation...but i need it in an "Update-Installation", when the program is already installed (resumed install). Then the ISXmlAppSearch seems not to work...log entry:

Aktion gestartet um 13:52:54: ISXmlAppSearch.
MSI (c) (8C:20) [13:52:54:378]: Action 'ISXmlAppSearch' is not permitted in a restricted engine.

How can I read an xml-file in a resumed install? I think the problem is that "restricted engine" bryanwolf wrote in http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=170436&page=3&highlight=restricted+engine:

This is as a result of a limitation in the way that the InstallScript engine has to invoke the MSI to run the UI sequence. Because the package is already installed, the InstallScript engine launches a restricted version of the MSI package that is only capable of running a specific subset of custom actions.

The following custom actions are the only ones allowed to run during the UISequence:
Set Property
Set Directory
Dialog

-> So it seems that the xml-search seems not to work in a resumed install, but I need that...what can I do?

Thanks for an answer,
Peter
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
blood_on_ice
Level 4

Does nobody has a solution to my problem? It can't be that i'm the only one who needs to read values out of a xml file when updating the app?!?

Kind regards,
Peter
0 Kudos
Newmarket
Level 4

I'm experiencing a very similar problem and hope to find a suggested resolution. I have two XML System Searches defined in my IS2008 InstallScript MSI project. When I run the setup for the first time on a system or run the same setup additional times on the same system, the system searches work as expected and find the values I want in my XML file. When I re-compile the same setup (no changes to the project, same product code, different package code) then run it on the same machine, InstallShield launches in "update" mode--a "resumed" installation. In this case, I don't get the values from my XML file. The log in my case mentions nothing about a restricted engine. This is what I see in the log:
Action 14:01:50: ISXmlAppSearch.
Action start 14:01:50: ISXmlAppSearch.
Action ended 14:01:50: ISXmlAppSearch. Return value 0.

I have the ISXMLAppSearch action "Execution Scheduling" set to "Always execute" in both the Installation-"User Interface" and Installation-"Execute" sequences.

What do I have to do to get ISXMLAppSearch to fire properly in a small update/minor upgrade scenario?
0 Kudos
blood_on_ice
Level 4

Does nobody has a solution for this?

Kind regards,
Peter
0 Kudos