cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ken2007
Level 3

Screen Refresh Problem

I'm working with a large InstallScript project that launches multiple InstallScript projects. It uses the LaunchAppAndWait function. However, there seems to be a delay between when the user clicks "Finish" to when it actually returns to the calling InstallShield project. The screen doesn't properly refresh for several seconds. Is there any way this can be avoided? Is there another recommended approach to launching another installation? One where the main install project will properly refresh the UI while it waits for the secondary install to complete?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
alegerlotz
Level 7

ken2007 wrote:
I'm working with a large InstallScript project that launches multiple InstallScript projects. It uses the LaunchAppAndWait function. However, there seems to be a delay between when the user clicks "Finish" to when it actually returns to the calling InstallShield project. The screen doesn't properly refresh for several seconds. Is there any way this can be avoided? Is there another recommended approach to launching another installation? One where the main install project will properly refresh the UI while it waits for the secondary install to complete?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Isn't "Doinstall" the right way to do this?
0 Kudos
ken2007
Level 3

I tried the DoInstall and it had the same problem. The Child InstallScript is launched and runs with no problem. When the user clicks "FINISH" control switches back to the calling InstallShield Dialog but it has a mix of contents from both installscript projects for about 5-10 seconds till the next step in the process is loaded. Is there anyway to manually refresh/redraw the dialog right after the child installscript completes to prevent the messy screen?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As a stab in the dark, perhaps try calling Disable(DIALOGCACHE) before launching the child installation with DoInstall or LaunchAppAndWait?
0 Kudos
ken2007
Level 3

Neither of these worked... :confused:

Disable(DIALOGCACHE);
LaunchAppAndWait(szCmd,TARGETDIR,LAAW_OPTION_WAIT);
// or DoInstall(szCmd,TARGETDIR,LAAW_OPTION_WAIT);
Enable(DIALOGCACHE);

I find it hard to believe there is no screen refresh/repaint.

Thanks for trying.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Are you launching the child install from within the dialog code itself or from a script event? If it is being launched from the dialog, moving the LaunchAppAndWait call to a script event (like OnFirstUIAfter) should mitigate this behavior since no dialog would be displayed.

Dialog repainting/refreshing is mostly handled internally by the engine. Unfortunately, there aren't any methods exposed at the script level for refreshing dialogs.
0 Kudos
ken2007
Level 3

We're calling the LaunchAppAndWait from the InstallScript via one of the Installed events. I guess its just a limitation. An alternative would be to combine all the separate projects into the one big project. That alternative is less than desirable as every modification we made to the child projects would need to be made to the new jumbo installscript.
0 Kudos