cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChristopheOce
Level 7

merge module sql serveur express 2005 !?

Hi everybody,

I have a project (basic msi project) who include msde as a installshield msde 2000 object for nt plateform !

all works perfectly, but for vista msde is not supported i've read !

then, i must to install sql serveur express 2005 but when i look on the redistribuable there is no merge module, or installshield object for this application !
I've read on this site NOTHING is planified on macrovision or microsoft for to do for sql serveur express 2005 😞 !!!!

THEN i think i must to realize the merge module for sql server express 2005 but is it POSSIBLE !?
i think to download sql server express on the website microsoft and with all files made a merge module ?!
is it the right way ?

Also my application must be supported x64 bits then i think there is a sql server express for x64 bits ?

Thanks for your help
Christophe
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
ChristopheOce
Level 7

it's enough me 😞 !

i m always try to make an program who installs sql server express !

i arrive to install ms sql serveur with the setup prerequisite that's cool with all my parametrers
but in my project at a dialog i must to put a checkbox who asks to the user who install the product to choice ;

yes => he installs sql server
no => do nothing !

my first question is, is there a way for to place the setup prerequisite START UP at another place , anotehr time ?!?

OR i have a other idea !
compress all files for ms sql server 2005, add file in my product
at the installation unzip all files and start the setup.exe with right parameters !

but i wonder if i choice second solution if there is a other sql serveur 2005 who is installed i think there is a problem 😞 !

someone can told me what he can think about my idea ?!or give me the right way i must to follow !!!!!

Thanks for all
Christophe
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Setup.exe always stats up the setup prerequisites before it starts your main setup. So I would suggest to launch the SQL Server 2005 Express setup using the LaunchAppAndWait() InstallScript function. You need to simply add SQLEXPR.EXE as a support file to your setup, and create an InstallScript custom action that will launch the setup.
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi hidenori,

Thanks for your idea about the function of installsript LaunchAppAndWait() i didn't know this function !

I've did a function installscript with the launchappandwait as this :

function UnCompressSQLEXPRESS(hMSI)
begin

MessageBox("START CUSTOM ACTION", INFORMATION);

//UnCompress the compress files SQLEXPR.Exe
if (LaunchAppAndWait (INSTALLDIR+"\\SQL\\SQLEXPR.EXE", "", LAAW_OPTION_WAIT|LAAW_OPTION_MINIMIZED) < 0 ) then
MessageBox ("Failed to uncompress SQLEXPR.EXE !!", SEVERE);
endif;
end;

A custom action has been added and when i run the program i see the custom action starts and it's uncompress all files IN SQLEXPR.EXE in a temporary folder as this for example : c:\de12e45e658778
after it start the setup.exe and all dialog appears ok that's work as this !

but is it possible to install sql server 2005 express WITHOUT DIALOG !
The prerequisite is good for enter parameters as this /qn INSTANCENAME="xxxx" and so on !
but i can't use prerequisite !!!!!!!!!

We don'"t know that the end users choice the parameters and see all dialogs !!

Have you got some idea ?thanks for your time !

i think i have a solution with but i m not sure :

- uncompress sqlexpr.exe
- compress all file in a zipfiles
- add this zip files in my setup
- install my product and unzip all files in a folder
- run the setup.exe with parameters
- delete folder

Thanks and sorry for my bad english 😞
Christophe
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Hello, Christophe,

I haven't tried it myself, but this MSDN page, for example, has information about how to pass command-line switches through SQLExpr.exe to the embedded setup.exe. You pass command-line switches to the executable you're launching in the second argument to LaunchAppAndWait.

(Note, however, that there are some problems with launching one MSI from another...)

Robert
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Robert,

It"s nice to see you on my post 🙂 !

I've tried to launch the the sqlexpr.exe with all parameters you give on the link !
but there is some problem !!!!!!!!!
I've remove the parameters /qn for to see the dialog !

when sql serveur express starts to install, its fails when its try to install microsoft sql native client with this message :

error 1618 installing microsoft sql client see log file for more detailled information. another installation is in progress. complete that installation before proceding with this install !

The log file of sql server :
[CODE]
=== Verbose logging started: 8/7/2007 17:29:17 Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435 Calling process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe ===
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:17:444]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:17:444]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:17:444]: ******* RunEngine:
******* Product: c:\c4e687626979ff7ea633b7c7f4\setup\sqlncli.msi
******* Action:
******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:17:444]: Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:20:444]: Failed to grab execution mutex. System error 258.
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:20:459]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:20:459]: Attempting to enable all disabled priveleges before calling Install on Server
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:20:475]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:20:491]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied. Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (4C:A8) [17:29:20:491]: MainEngineThread is returning 1618
=== Verbose logging stopped: 8/7/2007 17:29:20 ===
[/CODE]

As i can UNDERSTAND 😞 its not possible to start a msi from another msi !?

Now, is there a way to install sql server 2005 express without using prerequisite ?!
I'm sure there is a way ..

Thanks really for all !
Christophe
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Correct, only one MSI execute sequence can run at a time. You can launch a second MSI from the first MSI's UI sequence, but then you run the risk of insufficient privileges or the action being skipped during a silent installation.

As an aside, I believe the Prerequisite Editor enables you to allow the user to skip the prerequisite; it's not a check box, but that technique might be a possibility for you...
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hi Rooobert,

All right, i think we have use the prerequisite while perhpas to find another solution ! the problem is we must to deliver our package for this friday arrrhhhh!!!

Now, if there a way to place a conditiion as WinNT on the installshield MSDE 2000 object nt plateform !
Because this object failed when it's installs on windows vista then i must to install the prerequisite for sql server 2005 express on vista!

I've put some condition on the prerequisite for sql server 2005 for installed this package on windows vista but for the installshield msde 2000 object i can't find condition !!!!If i right click on this module, noting allow to write condition !

Have you got any idea ?!

For information, since this morning we have the license for installshield 2008 🙂
Thanks
Christophe
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Hmmm... I haven't used the MSDE 2000 object, so I haven't tried this; but can you associate the object with its own invisible feature, and then put an appropriate VersionNT condition on the feature?
0 Kudos
ChristopheOce
Level 7

Hello Robert,

Ok but i've change the installshield object nt msde and choose to use :
setup prerequisite msde 2000 (Condition VersionNT : 500, 400, 501, 502) and setup prerequisite sql server 2005 (VersionNt : 600).

Easy to use and easy to configure.

I m try this morning some test on plateform vista and i hope when vista is installs framework dotnet 2.0 is installed too or dotnet 3.0 because when i install sql server 2005 IF dotnet 2.0 is on the target machine the installation FAILED !

Thanks for your time and see you laer i'm sure 🙂
Christophe
0 Kudos