cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

SQL Server 2008 Prerequisite Serious problem.

Hi Folks,
I have created an Installshield 2009 MSI project.
I want a silent install of SQL 2008 Express to take place before a custom action connects to the instance, creates a database and populates the tables.
I am using the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express RTM (X86) redistributable.

My problem is that even though Installshield has downloaded a local copy of the redistributable, and it is incorporated in my Setup.exe, when I run the install, it downloads SQLEXPR32_x86_ENU.exe from the Web instead of using the copy in the setup program.
How do I fix this?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(12) Replies
sandeep_madhu14
Level 6

carrolls wrote:
Hi Folks,
I have created an Installshield 2009 MSI project.
I want a silent install of SQL 2008 Express to take place before a custom action connects to the instance, creates a database and populates the tables.
I am using the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express RTM (X86) redistributable.

My problem is that even though Installshield has downloaded a local copy of the redistributable, and it is incorporated in my Setup.exe, when I run the install, it downloads SQLEXPR32_x86_ENU.exe from the Web instead of using the copy in the setup program.
How do I fix this?
Thanks

Do you want silentinstallation of SQL 2008 Express?...
Thanks
Madhu
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Yes, my parameters are
/q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS /SECURITYMODE="SQL" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /SAPWD="test" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS"

But how do I stop the install from accessing the web for the redistributable as its already in the Setup.exe?
0 Kudos
sandeep_madhu14
Level 6

carrolls wrote:
Yes, my parameters are
/q /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQL /INSTANCENAME=SQLEXPRESS /SECURITYMODE="SQL" /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /SAPWD="test" /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS"

But how do I stop the install from accessing the web for the redistributable as its already in the Setup.exe?

What is the problem you are facing while it is acccessing the web for redistributable?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

I want the installation to use the redistributable from the Setup.exe, not get it from the web, because some of our customers don't have access to the web 24/7. And anyway its available in the exe.
0 Kudos
sandeep_madhu14
Level 6

SetOutPath $INSTDIR
File sql-installer.exe
ExecWait '"$INSTDIR\sql-installer.exe" /SILENT /USER=blah'

try the above installscript ...

ExecWait can stop the installation process untill you want to perform your own action..in your issue install the redistributles from your setup.exe and then perform silent instalation......
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Thanks for that,
but the problem is that I want the redistributable to be extracted from the Setup.exe and installed, not downloaded from the web and installed. Any Ideas?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Make sure that the download option is not selected for the InstallShield Prerequisites Locations setting (Releases view > release > Setup.exe tab). Either Extract From Setup.exe or Copy From Source Media is what you'd need.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Hi Debbie,
I have selected "Copy From Source Media" and this has been set default from the start.
Is there a setting in the MSI database that controls this feature?
Or is there an INI file somewhere that does this?
I am not an MSI expert.
Thanks
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

Run the Release Wizard for the Release you have created. Go to the InstallShield Prerequisites page, select "Copy prerequisites from source media". That should do the trick.

Never mind, I see that you are already doing this.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

I just tried running the SQL Server 2008 Express installation on a machine without an Internet connection. I got an error that .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 needs to be installed, but it could not be downloaded. So, I think that the Microsoft redistributable itself that we ship for the prerequisite tries to download additional files if they need to be installed. Are you seeing a similar problem?
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

No I didn't get this problem, I think its because I have dotnet 3.5 SP1 as a Prerequisite and it is also contained within the Setup.exe.
Gridmans suggestion didnt work for me (The Prerequisites tab in the Release wizard didn't appear)
But what did work was starting a new Basic MSI project from scratch. A real pain after all the work put in.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The only time I've seen the Prerequisites panel omitted from the Release Wizard is if the prerequisites aren't actually included in the project. InstallShield skips that panel in that case. Perhaps the check box for the SQL Server 2008 Express prerequisite in the Redistributables view wasn't selected in your original project? Just a thought.
0 Kudos