cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnscheyer
Level 2

Replacing text after installation completes

I am using IS2011 Professional to install on a desktop and a mobile device. I use an XML file to reboot the mobile device, and when it comes back up it prompts the user to join a network. At that point, they can get the IP address assigned to the device through the mobile application. I want them to be able to enter this IP address into a custom dialog box so I can use the replace text option to update a configuration file. I then want to launch the desktop application (using the updated config file) and complete the installation.

My issue is that I can't get the timing to work on the replacement of the text. I can get the custom dialog to come up after the mobile device reboots and is connected to the network, before the end of the installation, but the ISSearchReplaceInstall action has already run. I tried changing the sequence of that action to come after the custom dialog sequence, but it still doesn't work. I am considering creating a separate installer that will just prompt the user for the IP address and perform the text replacement and then setting this up as a nested install, but I feel like there should be an easier way to do this.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
johnscheyer
Level 2

I kept playing around with this and came up with a work around that satisfies the requirements, although it is a little kludgy.

I created a second smaller install package in single exe form that copies the target file, performs the text replacements, and launches the desktop application. I use the larger install package to copy this exe onto the target system and then launch it at the end. It's definitely not the most eloquent solution, but it gets the job done, and is not too confusing for the end users.

I tried having it launched during the install sequence (nested install), but encountered timing issues with that way too, so I ended up with this way and it works.
0 Kudos