cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vikashsonar
Level 3

Renaming or deleting MSI file gives errors

Hi,

I have stored XXX.msi of my project in folder "c:\vikas". After installation if I remove/rename the same 'MSI' then at the time of Uninstall it gives error - "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.".

As per my understanding the MSI is required for uninstall and repairing, but it is cached by Windows Installer in "c:\windows\Installer". But I didn't get why it is asking for original MSI. Also if I delete any of DLLs installed in project installation folder, I get a popup asking for "c:\vikas\XXX.msi" when that DLL is required.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood something. :confused:
Does original MSI is required or Windows installer's cached MSI is sufficient for uninstall/repair?

Thanks,
Vikas Sonar
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MSIYER
Level 8

The msi file is certainly stored but the cab files are never. So during a repair, it searches for the source files.
Also if I delete any of DLLs installed in project installation folder, I get a popup asking for "c:\vikas\XXX.msi" when that DLL is required.

Just think about how the installer asked you for "c:\vikas\XXX.msi" and nothing else. By default, the Installer engine takes the installation media path and writes it down in the registry. There is a SOURCELIST property where you can add source paths. During repair, it searches for msi at the locations resolved by SOURCELIST property. If not found, it pops up the message.

For some more info read this and see if it helps:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2007/10/25/resolvesource-requires-source.aspx
0 Kudos