cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daqsystem
Level 3

Remove Driver

Jump to solution

Hello I use InstallShield to install some device driver. 

After executing setup.exe, I confirmed that the driver installation and removal. However, if I force the driver to be removed from Device Manager after running setup.exe, the driver will not be recovered by running installshield setup.exe. After running setup.exe again, I need to uninstall the driver and run it again to install the driver.

Do you know how to recover after deleting driver from Device Manager randomly?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @daqsystem ,

Looks like the install driver actions are getting executed during the maintenance mode also.

But, a repair install is only supposed to fix a malfunctioning driver. It is not supposed to change the devices state. This can only be achieved by a reinstall, not a repair.

Somebody already raised the same query with Microsoft:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Forum/repair-install-doesn-t-update-the-device/td-p/18965

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(6) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @daqsystem ,

If I understood correctly, your setup is not getting uninstalled while removing the driver from the device manger.  

Looks like the device driver will be unregistered/uninstalled from windows device manger while removing from the driver from the device manager. It will not uninstall the setup. 

If you execute the setup, then it will run in maintenance mode and it will copy the missing files and what all configured during the maintenance. 

I think if you want to install the driver during the maintenance repair, you need to handle it separately or configure to run the driver installation during the maintenance mode based on your requirement.

If I understand correctly, should I use Install Script to install drivers during maintenance repair?
Is there any way to set it in a GUI environment like the "Installation Designer" window?

0 Kudos
I'm sorry for the hassle. I do not understand. I created a driver installation file with Device Driver Wizard using Basic MSI of Install Shield. The first time I run setup.exe, the driver is properly installed. However, I forced the driver to be removed from Device Manager without using setup.exe. After that, I run setup.exe again, I can choose "Modify", "Repair", and "Removal". The driver can not be recovered with the "Modify" or "Repair" selection. If I remove it by selecting "Removal" and run setup.exe again, the driver will be installed correctly. Is there any way to resolve this unintended driver deletion? For reference, I am using Installshield 2019 on win10 Pro. Thank you for your reply each time.
0 Kudos

Hi @daqsystem ,

Looks like the install driver actions are getting executed during the maintenance mode also.

But, a repair install is only supposed to fix a malfunctioning driver. It is not supposed to change the devices state. This can only be achieved by a reinstall, not a repair.

Somebody already raised the same query with Microsoft:

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Forum/repair-install-doesn-t-update-the-device/td-p/18965

0 Kudos
daqsystem
Level 3

Thank you for your quick reply.

You said that "I think if you want to install the driver during the maintenance repair,  you need to handle it separately or configure to run the driver installation during the maintenance mode based on your requirement."
However, I do not know where to set it up. What should I do?

0 Kudos