cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cute_martian
Level 3

Remote install challenge

Hi there,

I am faced with a challenge of designing and implementing an installation package that needs to install a distributed client-server application within a local LAN environment. The requirements are to install the server component first and then remotely install the client component of the install to locally connected clients. This might involve creating two separate install packages or might not. Also, what' s the best approach to distribute installation packages remotely? I have done silent installs before, however, I have never implemented any kind of "push" capabilites to copy the install package over and launch it remotely. Are there any specific products that I could leverage to help me with that? Would using InstallAnywhere or any of the FlexNet products be of any help? I have developed install packages before using InstallShield X - InstallShield 2008, but in all cases our software was a monolithic application targeted for a single Windows server and not a distributed application. I am a bit stuck as to what would be the best approach for this scenario as far as the products available for this kind of scenario. I would really appreciate it if somebody could share their expertise on the issue.

Thanks,
CM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The ability to push a package out usually isn't a property of the package. In any case, MSI projects seem to be preferable for deployment systems such as SMS and Active Directory; please see the help topic "Determining Which Installation Project Is Right for You", for example.
0 Kudos