Regarding DTM Installation Downgrade - InstallShield
We are facing some problem while performing the downgrade operation. When we try to install the lower version of DTM build on top of the higher version of the installation, it is displaying upgrade message.
For example, install the Build V22.214.171.124 and try to install Build V126.96.36.199, it is displaying the message as "This setup will perform an upgrade of 'Project Name'. Do you want to continue?" .
This behavior is observed due to the limitation in the installation-2016 project itself, as the InstallShield does not consider the last version to perform the upgrade operation.
When the DTM version was having 3 digits, it was working perfectly fine with the upgrade and downgrade as well. When the DTM was changed with 4 digits, it is having the limitation in the downgrade support.
Is it a limitation in InstallShield or there is some way to fix this ?
Hi @Jenifer ,
Sorry for the late response.
I am quite unclear on below lines.
"This happens because InstallShield has version check to block. " and " To avoid all these restrictions, it is necessary to remove all the original "newer" files so that there are no versioning issues when the older files are installed."
Can you please elaborate ?
Hi @sudhir_mk ,
To clarify your queries:
- "This happens because InstallShield has version check to block. " -InstallShield has version comparison check to validate higher version is already installed or not.If so it won't allow you to install lower ones.
- " To avoid all these restrictions, it is necessary to remove all the original "newer" files so that there are no versioning issues when the older files are installed."
- It is a generic upgrade rule that if you want to upgrade a file, it has to be of higher version than the existing one.
- If you have existing ones of higher version,but still want to upgrade those files have to be removed
- You can remove and add the new ones
- But these are file-level,in msi version level Installshield doesn't allow downgrade
Hope it clarifies your queries