cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ooocean
Level 3

Question for localizing the ProgramFilesFolder property.

Hi All,

I have a Basic Msi Project.

My question is if the ProgramFilesFolder can be localized.

Currecntly the installdir is [ProgramFilesFolder]CompanyName\ProductName.

For example in an English win 7 the installdir showed on the install panel is "C:\Program Files\xxx\xxx". While in a German win 7 it still is "C:\Program Files\xxx\xxx". Why it is not the "C:\Programme\xxx\xxx".

Do you know how InstallShield works in this case? Does the ProgramFilesFolder property can be localized manually by String Table? Or the localization controlled by the InstallShield? Or the ProgramFilesFolder property can not be localized at all and it will always be "C:\Program Files\" at all languages?

Do you have any idea? Please help. Thanks.

- ocean
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MarkusLatz
Level 8

On windows 7 you have always "C:\Program Files" as [ProgramFilesFolder], but it is displayed "localized" in the windows explorer. If you use the variable [ProgramFilesFolder] you are always save.
0 Kudos
Ooocean
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:
On windows 7 you have always "C:\Program Files" as [ProgramFilesFolder], but it is displayed "localized" in the windows explorer. If you use the variable [ProgramFilesFolder] you are always save.

Hi MarkusLatz,

Thanks for your relpy.

I did a check, the [ProgramFilesFolder] property actually is "C:\Program Files" in Geman Windows 7 but it showed as "C:\Programme" in Explorer.

Do you know is there any way to make the path of the Program Files folder localized on the install panel during the installation?

May be hard code a localized path is one way, but the location of the Program Files folder can be different. So I think this is a bad idea.

Thanks,
ocean
0 Kudos
MarkusLatz
Level 8

You can get the localized name with API SHGetLocalizedName

At the following link is a code snippet how it works.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2007/01/18/1487464.aspx
0 Kudos
Ooocean
Level 3

MarkusLatz wrote:
You can get the localized name with API SHGetLocalizedName

At the following link is a code snippet how it works.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michkap/archive/2007/01/18/1487464.aspx

Thank you MarkusLatz. I will have a try.
0 Kudos