cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbarlow
Level 7

Properties in Prerequisite Command line argument?

Can you use Install Shield properties in the command line arguments of a Setup Prerequisite of a Basic MSI installation? The help documentation lists five predefined ones, but I want to use a custom property that I populated during a system search as a command line argument for my prereq. Is this possible?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Assuming you mean Setup Prerequisites as contrasted with Feature Prerequisites, no. At this point the MSI hasn't been launched yet, so it will not have had the chance to populate any properties via System Search or any other method.

If it makes sense to change this prerequisite to a feature prerequisite, the fuller set of properties will be available. If not, you may have to modify the prerequisite to include and launch a custom helper exe that performs a similar search and launches the real exe with the appropriate command line.
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

So how would I access the property in the command line of a feature prerequisite: [PROPERTY]?

Clark
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes. Unfortunately there's no protections against using a prerequisite with such a command line as a setup prerequisite where the property would not be resolved.
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

Thanks for the heads up. On a related note, the feature prerequisite I'm running uninstalls a program. It calls a simple program that takes the uninstall string of the program to be uninstalled from the registry and passes it as a command line argument. Now that I'm able to store the registry value in a property and access it, the installer ends once the "uninstall program x" feature prerequisite finishes. Any clue what might be happening here?

-Clark
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I attached my log, if it helps you Michael. Does anything stand out?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The lines that look relevant to me are the ones I'm quoting below. It looks like the prerequisite is detecting a reboot, which bubbles up to the main installation, causing it to exit for reboot it expects is happening immediately. You may be able to address this in the prerequisite's reboot options.[CODE]InstallShield 13:55:00: *** Prerequisites complete; return code 7
InstallShield 13:55:00: Destroyed Window {09ECD3B1-E993-4812-A763-79CD39E9911D}
MSI (c) (F4!70) [13:55:00:703]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding IS_PREREQ_REBOOTING property. Its value is '1'.
Action ended 13:55:00: ISInstallPrerequisites. Return value 5.[/CODE]
0 Kudos