cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kilcarman
Level 4

ProgramFiles dir not localised in SdAskDestPath2 on Vista

Hi
I have an InstallShield20008 Installscript project in which I have a number of languages supported. When installing on a German or Spanish Vista machine (or any machine where "Program Files" is named differently), the SdAskDestPath2 dialog always displays my default destination path as "C:\Program Files..." whereas it should read in spanish "c:\Archivos de programa" etc.

Despite this the software still gets installed to the correct location, even if I do not use the Change button on the dialog.
(If I do click the Change button, the path displayed in the edit field is also the english "c:\Program Files" even though the directory drop down shows the correct localised directory structure)

What is very confusing here is that I call the dialog using the following basic script:

TARGETDIR = PROGRAMFILES ^ IFX_PRODUCT_NAME;
svDir = TARGETDIR;
nResult = SdAskDestPath2( szTitle, szMsg, svDir );

On non-Vista this behaves as expected with the PROGRAMFILES variable always getting localised but not on Vista.

Any help greatly appreciated as this is a major cause of confusion for my customers.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
TGABCD
Level 2

I have the same problem with Program Files not being localized on Vista. It always shows "Program Files" where it for example in swedish should be "Program".
On XP it works as intended with localized directory names.

I'm having a Basic MSI Project running the default InstallChangeFolder dialog using the controls DirectoryCombo, DirectoryList and PathEdit.

As kilcarman writes it causes lots of confusion for the customers. Any help or clarification on the subject would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

The Program Files directory actually isn't localized in Vista. Windows Vista uses all English directory names because it can change languages on the fly. But Microsoft included a trick in Explorer so that it will localize the directoy names in its display. s a test: in Explorer naviagte to the Program Files folder on a non-English machine. Now click in the path edit box - you'll see the real folder name. I've attached a screenshot from my German Vista to illustrate this.
I agree that this can be confusing to users, but it's a Vista feature.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos