cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlerch
Level 6

Product Name on Upgrades for ARP

My Minor Upgrade Item msi filename matches the project filename I'm using to produce my upgrade.

However the msi filename shows up in ARP, instead of the original Product Name, which is undesireable. I've noticed the Property table "ProductName" contains the previous msi filename I'm upgrading. When I try to change it to the "ProductName" value in the original msi Property table, I get the "MSI package name differs" error on the build.

I've tried fooling it in a variety of ways with no success. Ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

Change of MSI filename requires major upgrade. If you have not, please refer to Changing the Product Code.

I don't have access to InstallShield IDE right now, but I do remember there is a property to set MSI filename somewhere under Releases view, hence separating MSI filename from the value of ProductName property. That may be what you need.
0 Kudos
mlerch
Level 6

On the Releases View > Product Configuration there is a "Product Name" field, which says is used to override the product name for each release.

If I put a value in there, I get the error:

"The MSI package name for the most recent setup differs from the MSI package name of the previous setup. Small/minor upgrades require that the package name remain the same."

The odd part is I am naming it the same as the previous setup.
0 Kudos
Lurean
Level 8

On the releases view under the configuration settings you can set the product name, but further down the list you can specify the MSI Package File name, this is the name you need to make sure matches the old MSI filename.
0 Kudos
mlerch
Level 6

The new msi filename does match the old msi filename. That isn't the problem.

The problem is with the Product Name as it is appearing in Add/Remove Programs. What shows up there when I run the Upgrade is the msi filename. If I try to change anything in the Upgrade project file (which is Basic MSI) to correct it, it is then that I get the error about the product name not matching the previous installation.

When I open the msi file used in the previous installation, the Product Name is as it should be. When I open the upgrade msi and view the Property table, the "ProductName" field contains the msi filename, not the product name as it does in the prior msi. If I try to correct it, I get the error about Product Name mismatch.
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

Personally, I have never needed to change the value of ProductName property in a minor upgrade. MSDN link referred in my previous post doesn't mention anything about ProductName property either.

If you don't hear from someone else here, you may want to contact Inst..., ahem, Flexera for support, if you have a maintenance contract with them.
0 Kudos
mlerch
Level 6

Thanks. Yeah, at first I assumed I wouldn't have had to do anything, that it would simply use the previous value. Only when I noticed it as wrong in ARP did I set about trying to fix it and - no dice.

I do have paid support. Unfortunately for me it has been abysmal. I emailed them last Friday, they got back to me today - 6 days later - with a "send us a screenshot of the ARP window." Um? This was after I went into great detail talking about the contents of my tables, etc. So I tried to bite my tongue and reply as politely as possible.

Haven't heard back yet, but these forums are far better. We turn out product twice a week, I need support in a day, not once a week.

Mark
0 Kudos
mlerch
Level 6

This was it! When I would change ProductName, it created the msi filename based on that, and threw the error.

To fix it, I changed ProductName to what it should have been, matching the previous msi ProductName. I then went into the Releases View > Product Configuration properties and set the "MSI Package File Name" to match the msi filename of what I was upgrading. This created proper release msi's with the right filename, but with the 'friendly' ProductName of the previous release, thus showing it properly in Add/Remove Programs.

Yes! My one remaining bug now fixed. Beers all around. 🙂

Lurean wrote:
On the releases view under the configuration settings you can set the product name, but further down the list you can specify the MSI Package File name, this is the name you need to make sure matches the old MSI filename.
0 Kudos