cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhamsa
Level 4

Problems with feature advertisement on Windows 7

We've noticed some problems in which the installer runs (configures the software) each time a different user logs onto a machine - it only seems to be doing this on Windows 7 and we cannot reproduce it on Windows XP.

We're using an InstallScript MSI Project built in InstallShield 2009.

1) What happens is that a user logs onto a machine and installs the software on the computer. Everything installs and operates just fine.
2) Then that user logs off and a different user logs in.
3) When that user starts the software, the installer starts up and states that it is "configuring" the software. This is expected because it is a new user.
4) After the "configuration" process is complete the software starts and operates successfully.
5) Now this user logs off and the original user (from step 1) logs back on again.
6) This user starts the software - the installer runs again and says "configuring software". This is not expected and it only happens on Windows 7.
7) This occurs over and over again and the two users log off and on and start the software.

I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

Thanks in advance for any input
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Hi,

Please check the Application Event Viewer log on the Windows 7 machine for messages from source 'MsiInstaller', after you see the Windows Installer configuration issue. It should say about a component code. Then look for that component in your project file and find out its where it is getting installed. This should help in further diagnosis of the issue.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
mhamsa
Level 4

Thank you Alpesh,

I was able to find a few MsiInstaller events logged when I start the application, but what I'm seeing is rather strange. When the second user (UserB) logs off and the first user (UserA) logs back on again and starts the application - step 6 in the initial post - the following event is logged:

Detection of product '{C64852E4-D980-4459-A174-10579F4996BF}', feature 'XXXXXX', component '{72D101A4-05DF-44B9-9133-682949919DDB}' failed. The resource 'C:\Users\UserB\AppData\Roaming\CompanyName\ProductName\' does not exist.

This is strange - why would the installer look for UserB's AppData folder when UserA is logged in and starting the application?

Thanks again for any assistance,
mike....
0 Kudos