cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_McBrine
Level 4

Problem with Suite Install Project AFTER Service Pack 1 Install

Hey Everyone,
I have a suite install that has 2 features, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. The way that it is designed is that the 32bit can be installed on either x86 or x64 platforms, and the 64 bit is locked out for x64 only.

Now prior to the installation of Service Pack 1, you could select either of the feature independently with out any issue. Since installing Service Pack one the behavior has changed. When you get to the feature selection dialog, both features are checked. If I uncheck the first feature, then the second one is unselected. If I select the second feature to enable it, then I get BOTH selected.

What the heck is going on?? any thoughts?

Cheers and thanks...

--Mike
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I can't think of any changes that I would expect to cause that unless I'm misunderstanding what you're describing. So let's clarify: are you using the standard feature tree (as opposed to custom checkboxes)? Does your project include exactly two root-level sibling features, or is there a hierarchy involved (if so, what's it look like)? What sort of eligibility conditions have you set on the packages associated with these features?
0 Kudos
Michael_McBrine
Level 4

Hi Michael,
The project contains 2 top level features, on that contains a 32bit installation and the other that contains a 64 bit installation. The x64 feature has a condition on it of All Platform Architecture: x64, and no feature conditions on the x86.

The Package detection condition for the 32 bit is Any File Exists Path:[SystemFolder]sqlite3odbc.dll, with No Eligibility Conditions. The 64 bit is Any File Exists Path:[System64Folder]sqlite3odbc.dll, with the Eligibility condition set to All Platform Architecture: x64.

The Packages contain a single EXE installation.

Thanks,
Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Okay. That sounds very reasonable. The part that confuses me is that there shouldn't be any interaction between these features. If they were parent and child, there are some interactions that will cause a feature state to change. Namely if you unselect a parent feature, the features below it will become unselected; similarly selecting a parent will typically enable its children. The latter might cause two sibling features below an unselected parent feature to become selected at the same time, but would not account for the case when unselecting a sibling feature.

Is the behavior the same regardless of the platform of the machine on which you test?

Do you have access to InstallShield 2012 Spring (are you on maintenance)? I've thrown together a quick test to try to mimic what you described, and it seems to work correctly on an x64 machine with two msi packages - I can check or uncheck each feature separately without the other changing. But if you don't have access to IS2012 Spring, I can track down an InstallShield 2012 SP1 image and test things there when I get some spare time.
0 Kudos
Michael_McBrine
Level 4

Hi Michael,
This behavior is consistent with Vista and Windows 7, We are currently on maintenance however we have to get approval before we can install unapproved software versions. Currently we are being forced to roll back to a pre-service pack 1 state.
0 Kudos
Michael_McBrine
Level 4

Hi Michael,
I finally am back up and running. I rebuilt the same install project that had the issue when the Service Pack was installed on my machine with out the service pack installed, and it worked fine.

I really believe that there is an issue with the service pack that needs to be explored and corrected.

Cheers and thanks,
--Mike
0 Kudos