cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grparsec
Level 7

Preventing from downgrade

In Basic MSI projects, how do I prevent my current install from getting overwritten by an earlier version of the product?

I know there are ways to prevent it from overwriting the future versions, but in this case I basicly do not want the earlier version to be able to overwrite my current install. The earlier versions have been released and there is no way to modify them.

I appriciate your thoughts on this.
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Short of AppCompat transforms (which I think Microsoft controls, not you or us), I don't think there's a way to preemptively change an older install not to do this. It's regrettable, but hopefully not a showstopper; how big a problem do you think this will cause with your user base?
0 Kudos
grparsec
Level 7

It's not a huge problem...but it would be a nicer to see earlier versions cannot get installed anymore while current version is installed.

Thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
omidkrad
Level 4

Did you get a chance to try if the instructions you linked above actually work?

It didn't work for me. On Step 3a when setting the Minimum Version to the product version of the current project that logically means it doesn't allow any Major Upgrades for this Setup because the version of the older product would always be smaller than our specified Minimum Version to upgrade.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks
0 Kudos
grparsec
Level 7

It means that this current version will not overwrite the future upgrades..which is nice.
0 Kudos
omidkrad
Level 4

Well, this also prevents a Major Upgrade from an earlier version. I started a new thread to follow up with my question here:
http://community.acresso.com/showthread.php?p=419060

Thanks
0 Kudos