cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omidkrad
Level 4

Is this a doc typo?

Preventing the Current Installation from Overwriting a Future Major Version of the Same Product

In the above subject we read:

To manually add support for preventing end users from being able to install the current version of your product over a future major version:

[LIST=1]
  • Use the Upgrades view to add a major upgrade item to your project.
  • On the Common tab, select the Products using my Upgrade Code option.
  • Configure the settings on the Advanced tab for the major upgrade item as follows:

• In the Minimum Version setting, specify the product version that you are using for your current project.
    • Leave the Maximum Version setting blank. If a value is listed for this setting, delete it.

• If I set the version of the current Setup for Minimum Version doesn't that disable any major upgrades from previous versions for this setup?
    Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (5) Replies
    RobertDickau
    Flexera Alumni

The restriction applies only to the version in which you set up this detection and error action; later versions will use their own Upgrade table information...
    0 Kudos
    omidkrad
    Level 4

Thanks for the reply. OK here's my case:

I have a Setup v1.0.0 that is already released. Version 1.0.0 did not have an Upgrade Item defined.
    For version 1.0.5 I define a Major Upgrade item and set the upgrade version range to Minimum 1.0.5 (Current Version as instructed above) to Maximum of .

Now when I run Setup v1.0.5 over a v1.0.0 installation I get the "Cannot downgrade" error message. So I cannot even upgrade an earlier version! This is what I don't understand. Am I misreading the instructions?

Thank you
    0 Kudos
    omidkrad
    Level 4

I'm assuming that the range of versions (Minimum Version - Maximum Version) identifies the range that can be upgraded by the current setup. If that's true, then setting Minimum Version as current version means any earlier versions cannot be upgraded! :confused:
    0 Kudos
    RobertDickau
    Flexera Alumni

Right, that detects future versions, and then the steps in the documentation continue to display a message and exit if a future version is detected. A "normal" major upgrade would be a separate item that detects earlier versions and removes them.
    0 Kudos
    omidkrad
    Level 4

Great! So I should have a second Major Upgrade item for normal upgrades. Thanks.
    0 Kudos