cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnbell
Level 4

Prerequisite ISSCHEDULEREBOOT set to 1 but user not prompted to restart

I have created a Prerequisite using the Editor dialog. This prerequisite will required a reboot if installed. I choose:

Note it, fail to resume if the machine is rebooted, and reboot after the installation

in Behavior\If the prerequisite requires a reboot

This should allow the the setup to continue and set the ISSCHEDULEREBOOT to 1. I have the ScheduleReboot  action added at the end of the Execute sequence, in the default place. But, it does not prompt the user to restart. What else do I need to do?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Could you please share a prq file you have created along with file you added to install in prq. 

0 Kudos

Hi Varul, you can test this with InstallShield's own prerequisites. I tried both the .NET 4.8 Full, and the Visual C++ 2019 Redistributable.

If you ask me it's quite simple. InstallShield gives a number of options in the Behavior tab for dealing with reboot scenarios, none of which are "correct".

There are only two scenarios, both of which the setup should run to the end. At the end, either a standard user is prompted to reboot now or later or; the user is a doing an admin rollout where they don't won't to be prompted, they want it to reboot automatically.

The admin rollout should actually be a commandline option so, really there is only one "correct" reboot scenario configuration. And InstallShield currently does not support the only "correct" configuration.

If the "Note it,..." selection worked as it is documented then that would solve the problem, as it is the system is broken.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

@johnbell  : We are not seeing an reboot skip behavior as you mentioned, 

created a sample project with VC2019 prq and install the setup in a machine where no vc2019 is installed. Even tried with a machine where lower version of Vc2019 is installed and then installing IS created setup.exe with 2019 prq (no reboot observed)

We are not seeing any reboot required option at all,  we are not able to reproduce this behavior 

Are you facing this issue in one machine or multiple machines?

If you are facing an reboot issue, try to manually install the Vc2019 in that machine and observe it shows reboot needed or not.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Since vc2019 prq is restarting the machine by default(its fixed in IS2021), Created a sample prq with reboot exe added, and changed the reboot behavior to "Note it, fail to resume if the machine is rebooted, and reboot after the installation

Created a sample project and added prq and first prq will install and post installation of main installer we will see a reboot dialog yes or no. Refer screenshot and attached sample projects.

It will be helpful, if you share a sample project to replicate the issue.

0 Kudos

I am not able to open this sample in InstallShield 2021

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

You no need to open the same ism file you can create a your project with the prq i have attached in zip file, then build and install you can verify.

i have also attached the ism file created in IS2021

0 Kudos

Your sample does exactly as I described. The setup runs to the end, there is no prompt to reboot, and there is no reboot, even though a reboot is required. There is no option in your system to run the setup to the end and then prompt for a reboot. Please fix this.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @johnbell ,

I have shared a recording of same sample project installation in our machine, and we are able to see reboot post installation, if you are face issue with sample as well, we suggest you to raise a case with support by email at support@revenera.com

Or by dialing the support number available in below link

https://community.flexera.com/t5/Support-Information/Support-Contacts/ta-p/94720 

0 Kudos

Try compiling it and running it on a clean machine like a VMWare virtual machine. When I do it that, it does not prompt, nor does it reboot.

0 Kudos

Also, why are you never prompted to elevate to Admin rights when you run the setup, that is strange.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

we are running the setup.exe with administrator user logged in,  we are not seeing this issue in clean machine as a well,

Could you please confirm are you able to see the issue if you login with admin user

0 Kudos