cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pturner
Level 3

Patching and updating

Hi,

We've used InstallShield for years, but one thing I've avoided is the use of patches. What is was when I attempted to use patches years ago I found out that to install an update after a patch has been applied we needed to uninstall the patches prior to updating. Is this still the case?

If we supplied patches, which is normally single exe update or a few files, and then they need to apply a full DVD do they need to manually uninstall the patches before applying or would the installation take care of that automatically?

I am currently using IS Professional 2018 R2 and a Basic MSI project.

Thanks

Phil.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi,

Not sure what error you are experienced when installing your installer over patch,

Did you tried installing a minor or major upgrade?

Usually there wont be any issue, when installing your main installer over patches, 

If you have experienced any similar issue, you can raise a support case with detailed steps to reproduce also with proper installation log. 

0 Kudos
pturner
Level 3

Hi Varul,

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about an older InstallShield version. The issue was that I couldn't perform a update using the full installation after a patch had been applied. I had to uninstall the patch prior to running an installation. It has been too remember if it was an major or minor update.

Can I confirm that it is possible to apply multiple patches, and then perform a major or minor update afterwards. If required would InstallShield correctly uninstall the patches and update the files accordingly?

Thanks

Phil.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Yes you can install multiple patches and on major upgrade it will uninstall older versions including the patches and install new version and updated new files without any issue.

https://docs.revenera.com/installshield26helplib/helplibrary/SequencingPatches.htm

0 Kudos
pturner
Level 3

Hi Varul,

Many thanks - looking at the patch sequencing link. What would happen for a minor update. Would patches not be uninstalled, but the minor update successfully updated?

Are patches only uninstalled on a Major Update, Uninstall or if the Uninstall Superseded Component setting  setting is set.

I will do some testing and if any problems I'll come back to you.

Phil.

0 Kudos