Did you mean: 
DragMZ
Level 2

Patch Design - Multiple Previous Setups - Missing file

Hello,

My first post here so a bit of introduction - I'm Marcin from Poland 🙂

Straight to the problem:
- Create an InstallScript MSI project - Product Version: 4.7.701.0
- Create a single feature called "DefaultFeature" with a single component "FirstFile" that has a single key file "1.txt"
- Build the project and move the output to folder "Build701"
- Update Product Version to: 4.7.702.0
- Add a new component to "DefaultFeature" called "SecondFile" containing single key file "2.txt"
- Add Minor Upgrade Item pointing to .msi from "Build701" folder
- Build the project and move the output to "Build702" folder
- Update Product Version to: 4.7.703.0
- Add a new component to "DefaultFeature" called "ThirdFile" containing a single key file "3.txt
- Build the project and move output to "Build703" folder
- Add a new patch configuration
- Point latest setup path to "Build703" .msi file
- Add two previous setups - first one pointing to "Build701" .msi and second one referencing "Build702" .msi file.
- Build the patch
- Install "Build701"
- Run Update.exe to update "Build701" -> "Build703"
- Patching completes successfully but file 2.txt is not being created <- that's the problem.

I'm thinking it's my lack of understanding. Can anyone help, please?

Cheers!
Marcin.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DragMZ
Level 2

Just solved the problem by manually fixing ISTargetImage table (Order column - it should be "2" for "Build702" and "1" for "Build701")

What's intersting - the Order value generated by IS is wrong for my patch no matter if I add "Build701" or "Build702" as a first Previous Setup.

Marcin.
0 Kudos
Flowers
Level 4

Thank you for answering your question. This solved our problem. The problem seems inconsistent within our product line. The sequence is "incorrect" in all of are products but the problem only showed up in one of them. When this happened, our missing patch files in question changed between our GA release and Patch 1 but DID NOT change between Patch 1 and Patch 2. Not sure if this is what triggers the problem when applying Patch 2 only. We were using InstallShield 2008 on our MSI project.
0 Kudos