cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LrdElder
Level 4

Patch Cache

We just recently upgraded to Installshield 12 from Installshield 8 and I am running into a problem. Our install uses the Basic MSI and when we upgrade our product from a previous version, sometimes Windows is adding some info into the PatchCache although we are not creating patches. The problem is that when we install our program then it's fine. When we upgrade the program then it's fine but once we upgrade, uninstall, and reinstall the previous version then MSI is replacing some of these files with files from the PatchCache so that half of our program is on the correct version and half of our program is on using upgraded files. Is there a way to disable the PatchCache? I assumed it didn't do anything since these are not patches.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Sairen
Level 7

I had exactly the same problem and didn't have any luck with answers....here's what I do know:

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=200624&highlight=PatchCache

If you find out anything, I hope you'll update this thread.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
LrdElder
Level 4

Yeah, that is somewhat what is happening with us although these files aren't from merge modules. I went through the direct editor just to make sure there wasn't anything in any of the Patch tables and they're clean. We've been through 5 or 6 major upgrades over the past 8 years or so and have never had a problem. It didn't start happening until we upgraded to Installshield 2012.
0 Kudos
LrdElder
Level 4

This might be a workaround but according to ....

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2007/01/17/the-patch-cache-and-freeing-space.aspx

"Starting with Windows Installer 3.0, any patches that contain the MsiPatchSequence table cause the Windows Installer service to cache any of the original files being replaced into the baseline cache."

Which would stand to reason that we didn't have this problem with Installshield 8 because Installshield 8 didn't include the MsiPatchSequence table.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Thanks, that's great information. Have you read about or observed any side effects that may come from removing that table?

We've upgraded to every InstallShield release since 11.5, and we first started noticing it with IS2010.
0 Kudos
LrdElder
Level 4

I wasn't able to remove that table. You can't remove tables that aren't user-defined.
0 Kudos
TimoZimmermann
Level 5

LrdElder wrote:
I wasn't able to remove that table. You can't remove tables that aren't user-defined.

Just delete the table in installshield project file (*.ism) with an text or XML Editor. Make sure that you use the Project file Format "XML".
But this didn't solve my problem with the PatchCache. Independently of the existance of the table in the ism file, if this table is empty it does not exist in the builded msi package.
0 Kudos