cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
armyedsp
Level 4

PackageForTheWeb4 - command line

Is there a way to make the command line transparent? What I mean is, in package for the web I specify only the binary file to receive control after the package is extracted. I do not want to bake the command line for this binary at the time of creating the package. I would like the command line to be whatever the user specifies at the time of running the big executable.

I know we can always extract the files first, then the user can execute the specific binary with whatever parameters. But it would be nice if the main command line parameters can be passed on to the internal executable instead of baking it in to the building process itself.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

It's been many years, but I vaguely remember that PFTW supported the /a switch, followed by arguments to pass to whatever the package launched...
0 Kudos
armyedsp
Level 4

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. It works. The syntax is:

packagedexecutable -a parm1 parm2 parm3

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
armyedsp
Level 4

That only works when launching an executable. It does not however work with VB Srcipt (.VBS file). Designating a file say EDSP_Shutdown.vbs as file to launch and passing parameters via -a switch, does not pass any parameters to the launched VBS.

The VBS does however launch just fine and displays our usage message. It just does not receive any parameters. Launching the VBS manually and passing command line parameters to it works fine.

If anyone has figured out a resolution, I would appreciate your response.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
armyedsp
Level 4

Additionally, beside the VBS launch problems, it also suffers from cmdline length limitations. We developed a stub entry point exe as the launch point to in turn launch the desired VBSs from within. That worked. However we uncovered the cmdline length issue. After further researching other tools, we found WinRAR was able to handle long cmdlines as well as able to launch VBS and EXEs. The WinRAR cmdline format is a little different from PFTW:

packagedexecutable -sp"parm1 parm2 parm3"

while PFTW format is:

packagedexecutable -a parm1 parm2 parm3
0 Kudos