cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hodges650
Level 2

One dll not being updated when my msi runs.

I have a basic MSI project which I have used for years. I set this up with a ReinstallMode of "a" as this project is meant to install our custom files on top of our standard product. I have used this template to build 300+ installs over the years without a problem.

For one of our clients, there is a certain dll that never gets updated. All other files are installed\updated, just not this one dll. I have tried updating the version of this file and rebuilding, and nothing seems to work. Only if I remove the entry for the file at "C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\UnManaged\" will the correct updated version of this file get installed.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Any ideas as to a solution?

Thanks,
Paul
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Leon999
Level 3

I am finding that the 32 bit DLL is installed correctly on a Win7 64 bit PC to the correct Windows\sysWOW64 directory, but the 64 bit dll is also installed to Windows\sysWOW64, instead of Windows\System32 - please refer to the thread below

https://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?217302-Cannot-get-a-64-bit-dll-to-install-to-the-correct-system-directory
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

can you generate a msi log and let us know what the log says about that particular file during install process? it might give a clue ......
0 Kudos