cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IrinaT
Level 2

Non-msi Setup: how to create installation log?

I am supporting a non-msi InstallShield project that generates self-extracting exe.
I have a customer requirement to enable installation log, so it would contain a list of installed files, Custom Actions performed, registry entries edited, etc.

I could not find anything in the forum and help except for MSI installation... :confused:

The help states that I can define install log if I run the installer in silent mode. But I do not need silent mode, just install log.

/f2 : specify alternative log file name and path - InstallScript, InstallScript MSI -
When running an InstallScript MSI or InstallScript installation in silent mode (using the /s option), the log file Setup.log is by default created in the same directory and with the same name (except for the extension) as the response file. The /f2 option enables you to specify an alternative log file location and file name, as in Setup.exe /s /f2"C:\Setup.log". Specify an absolute path; using a relative path gives unpredictable results.

By the way, when I do run installation in silent mode:
MySetup.exe /s /f1"MyResponseFile.iss" /f2"c:\MyInstall.log"

The generated log has the following contents:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Log File
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=-5

Nobody interested in such kind of information... 😞
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

InstallScript does not provide logging in an equivalent form to what Windows Installer provides. You could implement custom logging through script code, however, it would only be possible to capture installed items such as components and files, but not registry information.

The InstallScript engine does write a "log" in the form of a structured storage file to Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{ProductCode}\setup.ilg that can be viewed with the InstallScript Log Viewer provided with InstallShield. This log is used to track what resources were installed and what should be removed.
0 Kudos