cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lam1278
Level 6

Upgrade Question for InstallScript MSI Project

InstallScript MSI Project

I inherited this project and we are preparing to do an "Upgrade" in the field. Now, if I leave everything alone and just let the "InstallScript" portion do it's thing, the software is updated with new files/folders etc. However, they don't seem to use the MSI Upgrade feature the way I would use it in a pure MSI project, so I'm a bit confused.

Should I be changing the "ProductCode" and "Version" of this release??? Because they have NEVER changed these properties.

I have zero experience with "InstallScript MSI" hybrid projects, and don't know if this is going to come back and bite me later.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Upgrades in InstallScript MSI projects work nearly identical to how they would in Basic MSI projects. If the only thing that changes between builds is the package code, then a small update would be installed at runtime on a machine that already has the previous build installed. If the package code and product version change, this would be a minor upgrade (functionally, it is pretty much the same as a small update). If the package code, product version, and product code are changed, this would be a major upgrade (which should then also include a major upgrade item in the upgrades view to uninstall the previous product).

The InstallScript engine does not do much for upgrades in InstallScript MSI projects other than ensuring the correct events are called (OnResumeUIBefore/After for small and minor upgrades) during the setup and passing the REINSTALL property (for small/minor upgrades) to MSI when file transfer starts.

The only real caveat to be aware of is Basic MSI projects can't really be used to upgrade from InstallScript MSI projects, and vice versa (though it is possible with major upgrades, it requires a bit of work).
0 Kudos