cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mperel
Level 3

No MSI UI problem

I switched from InstallShield 2008 to InstallShield 2010. After upgrade I have problem with merge modules (standard Visual 2008 msm) included in my project. These msm-files do nothing if Display UI property of the corresponding Merge Module Holder Object set to "No MSI UI".
Everything work fine with MSI Full UI or MSI Basic UI.

Can anybody help with this problem ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

In an InstallScript setup, I would tend towards launching the visual studio runtime redistributable. There are some tradeoffs to doing it this way, such as the lack of reference counting in the redistributable, but it's much easier to integrate into an InstallScript project.
0 Kudos
mperel
Level 3

Thanks for the reply. Does your advice means that there is a bug in InstallShield 2010 ? I didn't have such problem with InstallShield 2008.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That's a possibility, especially if you've confirmed you're using the same merge modules, and haven't made any other changes. If you want to try to debug it further, you could try setting the MSI Logging Policy to see if a verbose MSI log associated with the merge module holder object's installation tells you anything.
0 Kudos
Paul_Boerefijn
Level 3

Same problem. We did a regular upgrade from IS 2009 to 2010. After migrating and building an existing 2009 project in IS 2010 we encountered problems with the installation of merge modules, they are not installed.

Changing the properties of the Merge Modules Holder Object from 'No Msi UI' to 'Msi basic UI' solves the problem, but this is not what we want. While installling there appearing 8 - 10 MSI screens with an progress bar.

The MSI logging policy which you mentioned in the previous comment is enabled by default in our testenviroment. There is NO log file, so i suppose the startparameters of MSIEXEC are wrong.

Is there a way to retrieve the used MSIEXEC command?
0 Kudos
mperel
Level 3

I can confirm that I have the same effect - I don't have LOG file in case of "NO MSI UI". I think that IS 2010 doesn't activate Windows Installer for installation of MSM-files. Why ?
0 Kudos