cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kovalenko
Level 6

.NET project primary output is not updated upon upgrade

Hello,

I have a .NET project that has an assembly (.dll or .exe) file as an output installed by setup. When it is already installed and I do some modifications to the assembly and try to upgrade the application, this assembly is not updated in target location. Why?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Not applicable

It's likely as a result of violating component rules.

I would start by verifying the situation here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2005/08/17/451516.aspx
0 Kudos
Kovalenko
Level 6

Hello,

I have read the article. And I found the difference between the case described and mine.

In the article the component is listed as Advertised (and it is written that this is the main reason for the problem), while in my case it is listed as Absent upon first install and Reinstall upon upgrade (despite component that represents the assembly to install is listed as Local)...
0 Kudos
Kovalenko
Level 6

Those who come across this problem, refer to this thread.

The main idea is that IS uses file version while .NET is based on assembly version. To make it all work properly it is required to remove AssemblyFileVersion entry from AssemblyInfo.cs and make AssemblyVersion incremental (1.0.*). To make things easier one can create one AssemblyInfo.cs file and link it to all projects so that there is one place to change is needed.
0 Kudos