cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Missing Merge Module for MSVCR90.dll

I have tried to install my InstallShield 2010 project for the first time on a clean Vista computer (No Visual Studio 2008 on the server). All of my COM DLLS cannot be registered on installation. When I run dependency walker, the component that is causing the problem is MSVCR90.dll. The problem is that on my installation of Installshield 10, there is no merge module for this dll. All the others are there.
Is this a bug or is there a hotfix available to fix this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

I don't know which of the merge modules that have that DLL would be the correct one for it, but you could get the runtime installer from Microsoft and use it as a prerequisite.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

there are several Visual C++ 9.0 CRT Merge Modules shown in my installed version of IS2010. (I have downloaded most of the merge module / prerequisite installs from Felxara for IS2010.)
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Maybe I am missing something here, but doesn't Installshield 2010 claim to support Visual Studio 2008 on XP/Vista/Windows 7?
Surely this is a key requirement.:confused:
Up to now we have been using Wise Installer, but went over to Installshield 2010 because of the simplicity of Merge Module use.
Is there anybody from Installshield out there to advise me on my next step?
Can I download a hotfix or the required merge module that I can seamlessly integrate into Installshield 2010 from somewhere.?
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

The merge module that will install the file you need is installed with IS 2010. The module can be found here:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\Modules\i386\Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.msm

In the Redistributables view you should be able to see this module, which is titled "Visual C++ 9.0 CRT (x86) WinSXS MSM".

Make sure you include this module with your installer.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Hi Sheryl,
I have this merge module clicked in the install project,
but when I deploy the package on a Vista machine, all of my COM DLLs that were compiled on Visual C++ 2008 fail to register.
I run Dependency Walker on those dlls, and they are missing a dependent file MSVCR90.dll, nowhere to be found.
When I install the Microsoft package vcredist_x86.exe, I can now register our dlls.
This suggests to me that there is a bug in that particular merge module.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

This is most likely a known issue with these SxS modules. Aaron Stebner talked about this issue in his blog here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/05/20/2760317.aspx

This topic was discussed on the InstallShield 2009 community in the thread below. Note the second post by MichaelU on the subject:
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=184473
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos