Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jantonelli
Level 2

Minor Upgrade not installing new component

Hi,

Product: IS2008 Premier (Basic MSI)
I have product 1.0.0 and I am creating product 1.0.1. I have added a new component to an existing feature which contains 1 file. I have changed the ProductVersion to 1.0.1 and changed package code as well. Nothing else changed.

When I try to upgrade, the upgrade proceeds but the new file is not installed. According to the documentation I do not need to change my product code and this new file should be installed: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367850(VS.85).aspx See below...

An update that meets the following guidelines generally does not require a change of the product code and can be handled as a small update, or if the version is to change, as a minor upgrade:
* The update can add a new component to a new or an existing feature.

In my property table I have ReinstallModeText set to 'vamus'. It didn't work with 'omus' either. Also, I have tried adding REINSTALL=ALL to the command line and it does not get installed.

Can anyone help me as to why adding a new component will not get installed during an upgrade? Thanks.

Joe
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Sairen
Level 7

Hi, jantonelli,

I'd recommend getting a verbose log on one of the installations. It should help you figure out why a particular component isn't being installed.

/L*v C:\path\to\log.log

is the argument to msiexec.

Also, I think the default that setup.exe uses on a minor upgrade is 'vomus' - that may or may not make a difference in your particular case, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If you're not using a Setup.exe file, REINSTALLMODE should probably be set to vomus at the command line. Also, REINSTALL should probably be set to ALL at the command line.

For more info, see Creating Minor Upgrades.
0 Kudos