cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

Microsoft VSTO 2010 Runtime prq for x64?

The current provided PRQ file for "Microsoft VSTO 2010 Runtime" downloads vstor40_x86 and executes it - but only for 32bit systems. Is there another PRQ for vstor40_x64 which downloads and executes only for 64bit systems?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I opened a case with InstallShield (Flexera), and they don't yet have this PRQ in production ["When we released 2011, x86 version of VSTO was available and hence you find InstallShield link in prq file. However x64 was not available at that time and it was released later."]

I had been able to construct my own PRQ file, except for figuring out the link where to find & download vstor40_x64.exe from. So I opened a case with Microsoft in this regards, and I was told that the Microsoft SDK contains the correct link info for each product (as follows):

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages folder
2. You will find all the pre-requisites which are listed in the Windows Installer prerequisites in this location.
3. For the Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO) 2010 Runtime, locate VSTOR40 folder
4. Inside VSTOR40 folder you will find a folder EN
5. Open the package.xml file in any text editor
6. You will find all the shortcut links for VSTO Runtime in the file.

In my case the line I needed was:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=158918

So I updated my homebuilt PRQ with the link "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=158918".

In case anyone else wants this homebuilt prq, I am attaching it (renamed to .txt). It should be virtually identical to whatever Flexera eventually produces, except theirs should have a URL to their Saturn site for downloading their PRQ file.
0 Kudos
larry_aydlett
Level 2

Thanks Ron! I was able to use your prq as a model for my own builds.

However, looking at the Microsoft VSTO article at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20479 it appears that the operating systems checks are off a bit.

They mention the following requirements:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3

Windows XP (x86) with Service Pack 3 - all editions except Starter Edition
Windows Vista (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions except Starter Edition
Windows 7 (x86 and x64)
Windows Server 2003 (x86 & x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions
Users will need to install MSXML6 if not already present
Windows Server 2003 R2 (x86 and x64) - all editions
Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 - all editions
Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) - all editions

So, do I need to modify both yours and the one from InstallShield to match?

Thanks,

Larry
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I'd have to go back to figure out what I was doing back then, but I suspect I just used OS conditions that were of interest to my org/product. I'll review when I have some more time.

If InstallShield has a pre-req file now, I would take theirs as more accurate than mine (hopefully).
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I went looking for an x64 PRQ file on the InstallShield site, but I couldn't find one. So I updated both x86 and x64 PRQ files on my systems for a closer match to the VSTO 2010 System Requirements Larry referenced - but primarily because I found recently that Microsoft has updated their download area with a new version of the VSTO 2010 downloads.

As a result, the checksum/filesize has changed and now existing products built against the old PRQ will no longer download the VSTS 2010 prerequisite (thanks Microsoft! I just wish they would create a new download area for the revision and stop updating the old download area - it breaks these existing prerequisite validations every time! Try explaining this to your customers - that it is NOT the fault of your software that these setup.exe prerequisites fail to download anymore).

I have attached to this post the revised version of my x64 PRQ file (renamed to txt).
0 Kudos
ChicagoSw
Level 2

Has anyone gotten the VSTO prerequisite to work? I made a VSTO add-in for Excel and am trying to build the installer for it. I am using Visual Studio 2012 Beta along with Installshield 2012 LE.

The .prq file for visual studio that came with the install doesn't seem to work. I also tried the modified files posted on this thread. None seem to work. During the install, it seems to try to download the file, but then states that the file download failed. I've made sure that the links are valid in the .PRQ file, but the failure still happens.

I have also found that with the LE version, there is little help with editing the .prq files. The only way to do that is manually (the editor is not part of LE), and there isn't much documentation on the schema, etc. For example, there are no details on how to generate the check sum.

Has anyone else gotten the VSTO prerequisite (64 bit included) to work using Installshield 2012 LE? Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Should I maybe just be looking for another solution to get this done?

Thanks.
0 Kudos