cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dparmelee
Level 2

Merge modules' versions are different for different users building an install package

I added version 8.0.50727.6195 of the Visual C++ 8.0 merge modules to one of our install packages. We keep the .ism files in source control and get a new enlistment from source control each time we make a build. Our other build engineer made a build today, and QA proceeded to upgrade their existing version to this new version. The new version had no changes related to the install package or to the application for which this install package is relevant (we maintain install packages for several different applications).

However, when QA uninstalled the previous version, it removed 8.0.50727.6195. Why would an uninstall remove a merge module?

When they installed the next version, version 8.0.50727.762 of the merge modules was installed with it. The other build engineer and I opened the same install package separately. From his account, he saw version 8.0.50727.762 of the merge modules in the Redistributables. Using my account, I saw version 8.0.50727.6195 as I had before.

Why would two different users open the same .ism file and see different versions of the Visual C++ merge modules installed? Can we fix this in a way that still allows us to run our build script (including compiling and building setup packages) under our own user names? Or would we need a third, build-only user account on our build machine?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
TsungH
Level 12

From IS2011 IDE, Tools > Options, check Merge Modubles tab, verify value of Merge Module Locations (Current User) and Merge Module Locations (All Users).
0 Kudos