cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

Splash Screen Support towards PNG files

Currently and for a very long time Installshield only seems to support BMP files for splash screens, Is there a way to use other formats. In my company, they want to leverage the PNG format and the enhancements that is used throughout our product.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The new Suite projects support .png files (including transparent regions to give a non-rectangular splash window), along with several other formats, for their billboards. These projects can consume the .msi or exe files produced by other projects.
0 Kudos
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

Sorry, but Splash Screens still are not supported to PNG format. I uploaded in 2012 the Support file add and see it only has BMP listed.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I should have written more clearly; you're right that Basic MSI doesn't have support for PNG splash screens, even in IS2012. However the new Suite projects do support PNGs.
0 Kudos
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

Two quick questions for the suite package.

1. How do I access the Supportfiles folder via the dialog box in the suite package? Is it the same as within the MSI?
Example, I have support files added for some chm files, I want to link to them on the Welcome dialog box.

2. Unlike the MSI IDE, in the suite packages within the dialog box, I see it is eay to add a new SLA for a 3rd party SLA, but I do not want it in the main sequence, how can I move it out of the sequence and have the primary SLA contain a button to call it and have it return back to that sla?

I have not time to look at this as of yet but we are tying to move towards the suite package for some of our Core items. We do have one that has some very special customization where I will feed to Flexera on what we need. Already looking to do a case study with Flexera on it.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

For question 1, you can reference it by name. The easiest way to set this up is to use the[...] button on the Resource setting of the billboard page, as that will also add the file to the support files view.

For supplemental license agreements as a popup, reconfigure the agreement dialog as a Secondary Window; call it ExtraLicensePopup. Then wherever you want to launch it from, add a button and set the button's action to {DoModal ExtraLicensePopup}. I don't think we currently have a three-click way to add this as a secondary window, but it shouldn't be hard either in the IDE, or by copying around some lines of the project file.
0 Kudos
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

Question 1 - This is not a buildboard add, I have the file in the Support folder location already. I was trying to use a Hyperlink to add the ISSupportdir\*.chm onto the install welcome page. What I see is the Hyperlink opens the install folder.

The was a CMD shell window I tried as well. See my attached project.
0 Kudos
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

Okay, this may sound stupid but how do I do this.

For supplemental license agreements as a popup, reconfigure the agreement dialog as a Secondary Window

When I add in a predfined Dialog, 3rd Party, it pulls it in the main flow of the install, but I want to move it to the Secondary Dialog option.

See my attached project as it has it in there.
🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Unfortunately, some of the data required to build a secondary window is missing from the wizard pages. This means that you can't move a page in to the secondary window section.

You could probably copy & paste some of the controls over, but, because the coordinate systems don't line up, you'll want to update the exact positioning and size of most of your controls.

For your hyperlink question, you can set the URL to something like:
[SETUPSUPPORTDIR]\File.chm
0 Kudos
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

Brian,
Thanks, that did the trick. I will create a new thread with items I am seeing from building at Suite package so far.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

For the other question I don't think I saw answered here, you can generally refer to the root folder containing the files of your package by referencing [ISPREREQDIR]. I haven't specifically tested that with a hyperlink control, so let me know if you encounter problems.
0 Kudos
Dennis_Marks
Level 4

Brian's comment to set the action on the dialog worked fine for the Hyperlink. Not I see that Splash Screens do not load as what we had in the regular MSI. Thanks all for the support.
0 Kudos