cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakoff
Level 3

Merge Module with Installscript Custom Action

Created a MSM that has an Installscript Custom Action. Everything works fine if I use this MSM with my InstallScript MSI projects, but doesn't work with a WIX based project. The files in the MSM are being installed with the WIX install but the InstallScript CA is not being called. I'm not the WIX (3.6) expert and neither is the responsible developer so we're both stuck. Any ideas why this only works with IS projects?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Evan_Border
Level 8

bakoff wrote:
Created a MSM that has an Installscript Custom Action. Everything works fine if I use this MSM with my InstallScript MSI projects, but doesn't work with a WIX based project. The files in the MSM are being installed with the WIX install but the InstallScript CA is not being called. I'm not the WIX (3.6) expert and neither is the responsible developer so we're both stuck. Any ideas why this only works with IS projects?

Maybe check the Binary table and verify that a file named ISSetup.dll. has been merged into the WIX install. Your InstallScript custom action needs it. I would expect that it's already part of your Merge Module project, but it's possible that it isn't. I don't know what steps were performed to create your Merge Module, but I'm wondering if that ISSetup.dll was already part of the MSI (and therefore maybe InstallShield didn't think it needed to also add it to the Merge Module).

I think if you perform a verbose logging of the failing WIX install, you should see an error message about it skipping the InstallScript custom action due to it not seeing the ISSetup.dll.
0 Kudos
bakoff
Level 3

Checked the msi and the merge module and custom action both appear embedded. Run a verbose log and no errors detected. Finally tried running the msi from a command prompt that had "Run as Administrator" rights and it worked.
The InstallShield projects that include the merge module already require Admin rights so they always worked.
Thanks for the reply Evan...
0 Kudos