cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMathew
Level 2

Merge Module in Installshield 11.5

We have a product that needs to be installed only on windows. We are using Installshield multiplatform 11.5 to develop the installer for the product. We have to use merge modules as a part of our windows install as we use the runtime for crystal reports and they come in as merge modules. Is there anyway we could use the crystal merge modules inside the multiplatform 11.5 version
Anyhelp is appreciated
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
enanrum
Level 9

There is no way to use Merge Modules in MultiPlatform!!!

What I did was in my Windows Installer, I just added the Merge Modules that I needed and built a setup.exe to just run the merge modules. I forget how I did it but I made sure there was no info in the Add Remove Programs. I added an 'Execute Process' and ran this setup in silent mode!

Command -> $P(mm_setup_bean.absoluteInstallLocation)/setup.exe
Arguments -> /s, /v"/qv"

That's 2 args '/s' and '/v"/qv"'

I'm sure there's a way you can put the installer in the Support files but I just installed it and removed it, 'Delete File' action, after it was ran!

Hope that helps!
Tom
0 Kudos
MEinstaller
Level 7

Can you give me some more detail in how you made an installer for the Merge Modules? I need to include some of the Visual Studio merge modules in one of my installs, but I have no idea where they should go or how they should work, because I have never worked with them before. I would really appreciate any insight you might have.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

Well, what I basically did was in my Installshield for Windows, I created a dummy install that has no files to install and all I did was add one feature one component and just added the redistributables that I needed and created an installer for it!

The one thing you would want to do though is not to have it in the Add Remove Programs. In the Installshield for Basic MSI, you can go to the 'Additional Tools'->'Direct Editor'->'Property' table and set the property ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT to a value of 1 and it will not add it to the ARP window!

I'm sure there are other ways - like checking the registry and seeing if the component is there and adding and registering the dll or exe for the missing compnent! But I thought this to be a little less work!

Hope this helps!
Tom
0 Kudos