cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nmsams
Level 7

Major upgrades on 64-bit machines

I have my version 2.0 (made with IS 12) installed on a 64-bit machine. I go to install my version 2.1 (major upgade made with IS 2008) on top of the 2.0 version. I have different product codes and same upgrade code. What happens is that instead of uninstalling 2.0, I end up with 2 versions of my product showing up in the control panel.

If I do this on a regular machine, it works just fine. 2.0 is uninstalled and 2.1 is all that shows in the control panel.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Is there a work around?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you create an MSI log file and look near the FindRelatedProducts and ISSetAllUsers actions, is there any information?
0 Kudos
nmsams
Level 7

How do I create a log? I have an Installscript MSI project.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Passing the logging flag through setup.exe to msiexec.exe should do it:

setup /V"/L*v C:\everything.log"
0 Kudos
nmsams
Level 7

Ok, I ran the setup and created a log fine. Attached are screen shots of the 2 versions in the Add/Remove programs (InstallIssue.doc) and the 2 log files that were created (everything.zip).

In the log file it says:
Doing action: FindRelatedProducts
FindRelatedProducts. Searching for related applications
FindRelatedProducts: Found application: {A4B351F0-83B4-4E8B-A6E9-DC6E2A5B26A7}
PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ISACTIONPROP1 property. Its value is '{A4B351F0-83B4-4E8B-A6E9-DC6E2A5B26A7}'.
PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding MIGRATE property. Its value is '{A4B351F0-83B4-4E8B-A6E9-DC6E2A5B26A7}'.
FindRelatedProducts. Return value 1.

But then later it says:
LaunchConditions.
Skipping action: FindRelatedProducts (condition is false)

So it finds the product, but then skips it? What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks for all your help so far!
0 Kudos
nmsams
Level 7

I'm still encountering this problem.

It will work on my machine that has Windows XP Professional loaded but not on my machine that is running Windows Server 2003 SP1 x64 Edition. Could it be a Windows Server issue?

When I install, I make sure to do it through add/remove programs or actually set the computer to install mode at the command prompt. I also tried having everyone log off of the machine while I was upgrading. Nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I attached a log in the previous post, but I don't really know much about troubleshooting issues like this!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
tschley
Level 3

0 Kudos