Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
is2019user
Level 3

Major upgrade of MSI Project

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I am having Basic MSI project and I am using Installshield 2019 R3 edition.

I am performing a major upgrade in which I am updating application name, destination directory, regkeys and env variables. To perform this I have changed product code, product version and package code. Upgrade code remains same so that it shall detect  and delete old configurations . 

I have built application and installing on the target where earlier version is already existing. I am expecting new package to delete all the configuration created by previous and create new configuration in the pc. During the installation process,  it is interrupted. 

In the log file , I am seeing the error as below.

"MSI (c) (74:68) [19:06:07:367]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{A655606F-385B-4741-9EF6-B5731CEEBC31}' is registered to feature 'General', but is not present in the Component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
MSI (c) (74:68) [19:06:07:367]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported"

How can I resolve this issue? Please support me on this issue.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

This very much looks like the ProductCode is - for some reason - identical. You can open the generated msi file of both, old and new version, in direct edit mode to see the actual ProductCode. Maybe there's a Product Configuration or Release setting overriding your ProductCode setting in General Information.

Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jsclarktexas
Level 4

Did you "Add Major Upgrade Item" in:
MEDIA > Upgrades > Prepare Setup For Upgrade Scenarios > Upgrade Windows Installer Setup

Then set

• Major Upgrade = Products sharing my Upgrade Code
  • Product Version
    • Within a specific range...
    • or
    • With a specific version

0 Kudos

Search for 

Adding a Major Upgrade Item

In the User Guide

0 Kudos

Hi jsclarktexas,

Thanks for your response. I have done those major upgrade changes already.

Tryout 1:

Major Upgrade :

• In Common tab,
    • I have selected "Products having another upgrade"
    • Product Version section-> "Any earlier Version"
  • Advanced tab,
    • Detect Only -> "NO"

I was getting the error as I posted in my first post. 

I also changed as you suggested,

Tryout 2:

Major Upgrade :

• In Common tab,
    • I have selected "Products sharing my upgrade code"
    • Product Version section-> Within a specific version, checked "Ver range Inclusive" , Min field empty, Max field 5.07.000. ( I am changing  from 5.06.1000 to 5.07.000)
  • Advanced tab,
    • Detect Only -> "NO"

Now also I am getting the same error and response. 😞 

0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

This very much looks like the ProductCode is - for some reason - identical. You can open the generated msi file of both, old and new version, in direct edit mode to see the actual ProductCode. Maybe there's a Product Configuration or Release setting overriding your ProductCode setting in General Information.

Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos