cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rajkumar
Level 2

Major upgrade failes

I have a problem with major upgrade I created in Basic MSI project. Initially my product version is 6.0.5.001. Then I created major upgrade for the next versions (6.0.5.002, 6.0.5.003, .... 6.0.5.035). It was working fine as removed previous installed version completed from machine and installed current version without any issues. Then I increased my build number to 6 and start the revision from first like 6.0.6.001. I created major upgrade like before.

For some reason I don't understand, I keep getting the following error in the log: "A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer...."

The executable version installed on the computer is 6.0.5.035 and the version I'm trying to install is 6.0.6.001. Also when I created the major upgrade I changed the product code and version.

Does anyone has an idea what could be the problem?

I have also attached my Major upgrade options as a screenshot for your reference.

Please help me to resolve this problem.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RightClicker
Level 3

rajkumar wrote:
I have a problem with major upgrade I created in Basic MSI project. Initially my product version is 6.0.5.001. Then I created major upgrade for the next versions (6.0.5.002, 6.0.5.003, .... 6.0.5.035). It was working fine as removed previous installed version completed from machine and installed current version without any issues. Then I increased my build number to 6 and start the revision from first like 6.0.6.001. I created major upgrade like before.

For some reason I don't understand, I keep getting the following error in the log: "A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer...."

The executable version installed on the computer is 6.0.5.035 and the version I'm trying to install is 6.0.6.001. Also when I created the major upgrade I changed the product code and version.

Does anyone has an idea what could be the problem?

I have also attached my Major upgrade options as a screenshot for your reference.

Please help me to resolve this problem.

I did not have this issue in previous versions. changing ProductCode or not, no difference. Im going from 1.0.9 to 1.1.0 and now to 1.1.1 We are forced to uninstall previous installs. Not very desirable.:(
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

It seems that you're tripping over the Error Custom Action from InstallShield called ISPreventDowngradeExit. The Windows Installer mechanism is finding another product installed on those machines that have the same UpgradeCode GUID with a ProductVersion greater than that of your installer's. Perhaps you created this project from an earlier project and changed just the ProductCode GUID and didn't change the UpgradeCode?

In any case, generate an MSI log of a failing installation and find the value of the Detect Property listed in the advanced tab of a major upgrade called ISPreventDowngrade in the Upgrades view (unless you changed it, it will be ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION). In the log, it should contain the ProductCode of the product it found. That should help you find the product name (if nothing else, find the DisplayName value in the uninstall key in the registry for that ProductCode's entry).

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos