cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Major Upgrade woes: a newer version of this application is already installed...

I am trying to configure a major upgrade to uninstall a previous version and install the current version of our product. I left the upgrade code the same as the previous version. I changed the Product Code and the Package Code for the current version.

I went to the Upgrades View and configured the major upgrade for "Products sharing my Upgrade Code" and "With a specific version" 4.2.102.0. (We are releasing 4.2.102.1).

Upon installing 4.2.102.1 on a computer with version 4.2.102.0 installed, I get "A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard"

The product I am installing is newer. Why isn't it letting me continuing with the installation?

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Windows Installer only considers the first three fields of the ProductVersion property. Since the versions you describe are identical there, it considers this to be the same version.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hmmm...

I changed the product version to 4.2.103, and I still get the same error.

(Oddly, I have a different Upgrades View than before now. I no longer can specify which version I want to update. Not sure why that is.)

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Not applicable

(On the Upgrade View, I just realized I was looked at the ISPreventDowngrade view in the first place).
Here's some more info on the current situation...

I am working with a basic MSI project. My version is now 4.2.103

I need to update from version 4.2.102.0

In the Upgrade table in the Direct Editor, the entries are as follows:

UpgradeCode - (s38): {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
VersionMin-
VersionMax - ***ALL_VERSIONS***
Language-
Attributes- 258
Remove-
ActionProperty- ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCT
ISDisplayName- ISPreventDowngrade

I am still getting a dialogue on install that says there is a newer version already installed.
I've updated the product version to Windows Installer standards now, and I'm still getting the same error.

(I can only assume the 00's on the upgrade code mean the currently assigned one because from my Upgrades View-> Upgrade Windows Installer Setup-> ISPreventDowngrade view, "Products sharing my Upgrade Code" is selected).

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It looks like this may be a modified version of the major upgrade item intended to prevent downgrades. However it's now detecting older versions instead of newer versions, and the rest of the machinery thinks it found a newer version. As you can see in a new project, the ***ALL_VERSIONS*** setting should be in the VersionMin field. If you want to do a major upgrade from a lower version, add a new major upgrade item.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Just to follow up, I added a major upgrade item in the Upgrade view. But then I had trouble because it was not installing as an upgrade. It was installing as another product.

Turns out I had to make sure that in the Advanced tabs, "Include Min Version" AND "Include Max Version" were both set to YES.

Our version numbers are still in the format x.x.xxx.x instead of the x.x.x, so hopefully we won't have to change that.

This site helped me troubleshoot major upgrades:

http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q113394&sliceId=1
0 Kudos