cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destilant
Level 2

MSSQL Server 2008 R2 Express Service Pack 2

I am installing a MSSQL instance during our setup through an Installscript MSI project.

The first release of MSSQL 2008 R2 and the following Service Pack 1 works perfectly. But now the latest release hangs always at the same step and never ends.

The parameter did not change and are all the same. I am installing the Express Edition without Tools in German. It is a strange behaviour because the same edition in English, just works and installs without an error or hanging.

You can take a look in a logfile at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20120830_150732\Detail_ComponentUpdate.txt:
2012-08-30 15:08:09 Slp: Running Action: Install_WatsonX86_Cpu32_Action
2012-08-30 15:08:09 Slp: Sco: Attempting to create base registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, machine
2012-08-30 15:08:09 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey
2012-08-30 15:08:09 Slp: Sco: Attempting to open registry subkey SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0
2012-08-30 15:08:09 Slp: Sco: Attempting to get registry value InstallDir
2012-08-30 15:08:09 Slp: Sco: Waiting for service 'msiserver' to accept the stop request.
2012-08-30 15:08:09 Slp: Sco: Returning service status Running
2012-08-30 15:08:14 Slp: Sco: Returning service status Running

Looks like that the MSSQL setup is waiting for the Windows service "Windows Installer", but its not responding. Only killing the process manually can continue the MSSQL setup.

So anybody got some experience on that? Or any other workarounds to solve the problem?
Restarting the service "Windows Installer" during the InstallShield-Setup is not possible, because the service is locked and can be only killed manually.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
stefanm1
Level 4

Did you check if there is a pending reboot? Maybe this causes this behavior.
0 Kudos
sidetnee
Level 5

Is this perhaps the same issue as http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/741476/sql-server-2012-express-setup-issue in that they (Microsoft) appear to have removed support for a sql server express installation from within a running windows installer.
0 Kudos
Paul_Nicholas
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm experiencing exactly the same behaviour (using InstallShield 2012 Spring - Professional Ed.)
Has anyone found a solution to this issue? (seeing as Microsoft do not appear to want to fix it themselves) 😞

The only "workaround" I could find is to change the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express prereq from a Feature pre-req to an Install before pre-req
(which is awful and unacceptable for our setup project)

Many thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
nitsev
Level 6

The MS attitude is "won't fix" so I would not expect the behavior to change in the future. I have been meaning to look into the SQL Server LocalDB alternative to see if that may work differently but have not had the time to do so. I am puzzled why MS prevents developers from distributing SQL Server with their software, but hey that's just me. :confused:
0 Kudos