cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

MSI Logging

I know I'm not the first one to ask this question but none of the other solutions appear to work.

I've got a commercial application that uses InstallScript MSI. To help our techinical support staff, I'd like to turn on MSI logging for all setups run by our customers. Requiring the customers to rerun setup using special command line parameters is not an option.

I tried modifying the "MSI Command Line Arguments" setting on the "Releases", "Setup.exe" tab to the following:

/v"/l*vx c:\mylog.log"

This creates the following in SETUP.INI:

[Startup]
CmdLine=/v"/l*vx c:\mylog.log"

Unfortunately, running setup.exe does NOT create C:\MyLog.log. No eroors just no log.

What am I doing wrong?

Some additional info:

I'm running this test on Win2K SP4
If I set the options in Build/Settings "MSI Log File" tab, a log IS created when I run setup from the IDE.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you use the "MSI Command Line Settings" field, I think the /V is understood; perhaps try just the /L part?
0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

RobertDickau wrote:
If you use the "MSI Command Line Settings" field, I think the /V is understood; perhaps try just the /L part?

I get invalid command line if "MSI Command Line Settings" is :

/l*vx c:\mylog.log
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As a test, does it work if you take off the x?

/L*v C:\everything.log
0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

RobertDickau wrote:
As a test, does it work if you take off the x?

/L*v C:\everything.log

Sure enough, removing the "x" was the key. I originally copied the parameters from somewhere else not realizing the "x" was supported by Windows 2003 Server only. Now things work just fine.

Thanks for the help. One hurdle crossed. On to the next.
0 Kudos
alanrickman
Level 4

I to am having problems with logging. (IS2008, Installscript MSI)

I'm clearly doing something wrong but not too sure what, have setup logging on the MSI Log File tab in the settings menu.

However when I run setup from within the IDE "Error 1629. Invalid Command Line" is displayed, when Setup is run outside of the IDE it runs ok but no log file is created.

Have attached a screenshot of the settings used

0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

Try using the MSI Command Line Arguments on the Setup.exe tab of "Releases". What is entered here will be used when run from the IDE as well.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Just a thought here. If your install must run in a Terminal Services environment, keep in mind that your users may not have a C:\ drive.
0 Kudos
alanrickman
Level 4

Thanks Mark that did the trick, and thanks also to Kathy that hadn't even entered my mind!
0 Kudos