cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redbox
Level 4

Link to Microsoft Installation Guidelines

InstallShield's User manuals reference the "Microsoft Installation Guidelines" at various places. I googled online and didn't find it. Can somebody help me post the link here? Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I haven't seen that exact string in the InstallShield user manuals, so I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. Can you provide more details about where this is used in the documentation? Are you referring to some of the documentation related to the Certified for Windows logo program? Perhaps the following page on MSDN would be helpful:
Windows Installer and Logo Requirements

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
redbox
Level 4

Debbie, Thanks for your reply!

Sorry about the confusion. Actually I meant the book of "Learning InsallScript Projects using InstallShield 2008". I browsed the link you posted. But I'm not sure if it is the one. For example, the book says the guidelines suggest not to provide a shortcut for Uninstall, which I don't see in the page. Any idea which guidelines the book might refer to?

Thanks!

DebbieL wrote:
Hmm. I haven't seen that exact string in the InstallShield user manuals, so I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. Can you provide more details about where this is used in the documentation? Are you referring to some of the documentation related to the Certified for Windows logo program? Perhaps the following page on MSDN would be helpful:
Windows Installer and Logo Requirements

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

As far as I know the current logo guidelines (for Windows Vista and Server 2008) don't mention uninstall shortcuts at all. In the Windows XP logo guidelines mention, that not creating uninstall shortcuts will be a future requirement, but apparently this didn't happen.

But anyway I don't recomment uninstall shortcuts. They're unnecessary, clutter the start menu, and most professional applications don't create them.

For links to the logo requirements please see http://www.msifaq.com/a/1003.htm
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
MGarrett
Level 6

Perhaps this is the article: "Windows Installer Best Practices"
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204770(VS.85).aspx
0 Kudos