cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjb8297
Level 6

Launching my app after the installation has completed

Greetings,

I am trying to launch my application after the installation has completed, however I need to know where it was installed (as the user has the option to change the standard location of where the app is installed).

So if the standard location is PF/MyAppFolder/myapp.exe where pf is program files, and they change it to C:\something\myappfolder\myapp.exe, then I want to be able to launch it from the SetupCompleteSuccess dialog.

I am running into a problem of error code 2753, and the way my set up is done, I don't think it is going to be possible to launch the exe, because it is dependant on what unlock code is entered, as there is four separate .exes (one for each edition of my software).

Also, for some reason the launch app checkbox is being displayed, even though the visible property is set to false. Where does this get set to true, so that I can at least turn that off while trying to come up with a solution for my issue at hand. :confused:

So I am hoping I can come up with a different way to do this, or if someone has any ideas on how to do it with each edition, then that would be great. Thanks.:)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

You should be able to use the feature/component destination in the action properties, as in [INSTALLDIR].

This newsletter tip might have some information that relates to what you're doing (PDF warning): http://www.macrovision.com/webdocuments/PDF/launch.pdf?link_id=productsTipsTricks.
0 Kudos
jjb8297
Level 6

RobertDickau wrote:
You should be able to use the feature/component destination in the action properties, as in [INSTALLDIR].

This newsletter tip might have some information that relates to what you're doing (PDF warning): http://www.macrovision.com/webdocuments/PDF/launch.pdf?link_id=productsTipsTricks.

Thanks, I think this is the way we use to have it set up, but I think it was getting confused. Remember how i said we have four editions of our software, and each edition has its own exe file.

Depending on what unlock code is entered in by the user, will determine which edition is installed on the user's machine. I will look through the pdf, but I am not sure if it solves my issue.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

jjb8297 wrote:
Thanks, I think this is the way we use to have it set up, but I think it was getting confused. Remember how i said we have four editions of our software, and each edition has its own exe file.

Depending on what unlock code is entered in by the user, will determine which edition is installed on the user's machine. I will look through the pdf, but I am not sure if it solves my issue.

setup a property and according to the property launch a particualr executable... 🙂
0 Kudos
jjb8297
Level 6

s26f84 wrote:
setup a property and according to the property launch a particualr executable... 🙂

Thanks. I am still learning my away around in Installshield, set up a property I know how to do, question is where does one set that property and is that property global throughout the lifetime of the install process.

I guess I could set up the property (where exactly I don't know), but set up a custom action for the checkbox, and then based on that value of the property launch the appropriate exe. Does that sound about right.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

thats ok, i am learning it too...

you should set the property when you choose which version of software to be installed. example in next button click.

U should have custom action of each executable and according to property DoAction when SetupCompleteSuccess dialog is displayed.

hope this helps
cheers
sunny
0 Kudos