cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smarose
Level 3

Launch conditions

My BasicMSI installer has 3 launch conditions...

SQL Analysis Services
SQL Integration Services
SQL Server 2005, SP1 or greater

I created launch conditions for each condition and they are working. However, it is not very user friendly. The user launches the installer and SQL Analysis Services is not installed and it prompts the user to install it. The user installs SQL Analysis Service and restarts the installer and SQL Integration Services is not installed and it prompts the user to install it. The user install SQL Integration Services and restarts the installer and SQL Server 2005 RTM and it prompts the user to install SP1 and restart.

Bottom line, is there a way to check all launch conditions at once or is there a better way to do this altogether?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
smarose
Level 3

These seems like a reasonable request. Has anyone done anything like this before?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

LaunchConditions cannot be ordered, so you do run into problems like this. One alternate approach is to use Type 19 (Error) custom actions which you sequence and thus control the ordering of. You could try to take an approach of an ordered error for each kind of scenario, or try to build up a list of missing requirements (adding to a property with Set-Property custom actions) and then display it all at once in a single error.
0 Kudos
MorrowLess
Level 4

Why wouldn't you a prerequisite rather than a launch condition to get these 3 pieces installed?
0 Kudos
z_enithh
Level 2

hi i have an MSI installer. i want the launch condition for sql server 2008.
can u help me in this regard, how to set the launch condition for sql server.
i tried using registry key search but its not giving an alert when there is no sql server installed in the machine.
Its very urgent. please respond to this asap.
Thank you.

smarose wrote:
My BasicMSI installer has 3 launch conditions...

SQL Analysis Services
SQL Integration Services
SQL Server 2005, SP1 or greater

I created launch conditions for each condition and they are working. However, it is not very user friendly. The user launches the installer and SQL Analysis Services is not installed and it prompts the user to install it. The user installs SQL Analysis Service and restarts the installer and SQL Integration Services is not installed and it prompts the user to install it. The user install SQL Integration Services and restarts the installer and SQL Server 2005 RTM and it prompts the user to install SP1 and restart.

Bottom line, is there a way to check all launch conditions at once or is there a better way to do this altogether?

Thanks!
0 Kudos