cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISNoob
Level 6

Language-specific installs

My installer will not display a language option dialog. I have one setup and within the setup I have components which I have assigned "Chinese (Traditional)" and English (EN) languages, and I have done this through the components and then selecting the language.

I have set the languages in every shared component as well. When I run my setup.exe I am not getting a language selection dialog.

The files get installed by default as English (US).
How do I get the files to install based on the language I want them to be installed in?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Do you want the language dialog to be displayed? If so, you need to select Yes for the Language Dialog setting on the Build tab in the Releases view.

The Languages setting for a component enables you to specify the languages for which the component is intended. It's really a build-time filter. That is, if you select a specific language for a component, and then you do not select that language in the Releases view, InstallShield does not include that component in the installation when you build your release. If you select a specific language for a component and that language also matches one of the languages that are selected in the Releases view, InstallShield includes that component in the release at build time.

If you want to conditionally install components based on languages, you need to set component conditions (for Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI projects) or use the InstallScript function FeatureFilterLanguage (for InstallScript projects).

What project type are you using? If you're using Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI, for example, you could try using the SystemLanguageID property in your component conditions. For example, if a component should be installed only on English systems, you could use this as your component condition:
SystemLanguageID = 1033

Other Windows Installer properties that can be used to determine language characteristics at run time are UserLanguageID, which is the numeric identifier of the end user’s default language, and ProductLanguage, which is the identifier of the language in which the installation is running.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
ISNoob
Level 6

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I want the Language dialog to be displayed. I have selected "Yes" for the Language Dialog setting on the Build tab in the Releases view. I am using Installshield 2008 Professional.

I have set the component conditions to install based on the component language.
In the releases wizard I set the data languages section to Chinese (Traditional) and English (EN-UK).
The default Language and UI Language is set to English US ...

I would like the language selection dialog to be displayed as I have selected "Yes" for the Language Dialog setting on the Build tab in the Releases view. I have set the components to its corresponding language....
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

That all sounds good. Is your Setup.exe working as expected now?
0 Kudos
ISNoob
Level 6

No, I still do not get the option to select the language when I begin the install process...

By doing what I have described above, should be sufficient to enable the language selection dialog to appear, however I still cant get it to display.

Any thoughts?...
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Sorry. I just noticed that I previously missed an important detail in one of your posts: You said that you're using the Professional edition of InstallShield. This edition does not have support for creating multilanguage installations. You'd need the Premier edition in order to create an installation that has both Chinese and English, and can display the language selection dialog.
0 Kudos