cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrohit
Level 4

Issue with ROLLBACK during abort

Hi,

I have an issue with ROLLBACK action on my installscript project.
During the installation flow after moving the data i need to make few registry changes to update a key. If this key doesn't exist i call abort.
I have used the keyword "abort" in the installscript.
Before calling "abort" an entry is made in Add/Remove panel. During "abort" action there is no ROLLBACK happening and the entry retains in Add/Remove panel and the folders/files aren't removed.

Found that OnAbort() handler exists in IS2010.
1. Can this be made use of to be called during invoking "abort" command?
2. How to call the ROLLBACK action to remove the folders/files and the entry from Add/Remove panel.

Would like to know if there are any other ways to handle the ROLLBACK action.

Thanks in advance.
Rohit
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
girishkatti123
Level 7

Installscript project will not have any ROLLBACK action. You need to manually delete all the changes done by the installer.
ROLLBACK feature is available with InstallScriptMSI and Basic MSI project type.
To avail this feature either change your project type.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

mrohit wrote:
Hi,

I have an issue with ROLLBACK action on my installscript project.
During the installation flow after moving the data i need to make few registry changes to update a key. If this key doesn't exist i call abort.
I have used the keyword "abort" in the installscript.
Before calling "abort" an entry is made in Add/Remove panel. During "abort" action there is no ROLLBACK happening and the entry retains in Add/Remove panel and the folders/files aren't removed.

Found that OnAbort() handler exists in IS2010.
1. Can this be made use of to be called during invoking "abort" command?
2. How to call the ROLLBACK action to remove the folders/files and the entry from Add/Remove panel.

Would like to know if there are any other ways to handle the ROLLBACK action.

Thanks in advance.
Rohit

If your worry/concern is only limited to Add/Remove entry cleanup then you could override OnAbort() event and add code to remove your GUID from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\, you may also have to remove the GUID associated with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield Uninstall Information or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\InstallShield_

HTH
0 Kudos