cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhonsrid
Level 3

Installshield silent issue on Vista (ok on 2k/xp)

Hi,

I have an Installshield 2008 installscript installation which has three installation types, "compact", "typical" and "custom".

All three types install fine on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, both interactively and silently. All three types work interactively on Vista, but the "custom" type fails on Vista when run silently.

The log file contains error -3, ie "Required data not found in the Setup.iss file. The response is not correct for the installation being performed."

I've checked the original response file generation, (ie "setup -r") and the files are generated identically regardless whether you do it on 2000, XP or Vista.

The user used for these installs is in the local "Administrators" group, and I have tried running the setup from an "elevated command prompt" (ie "run as administrator") too, but no difference...

The "custom" element of the install just displays SdFeatureDialog2 so the user (or in this case the response file) can select elements, (or in this case, just accept the defaults and click "next"!) The components aren't clever, and don't have any user interface elements.

However, if I take *out* the call to SdFeatureDialog2 and regenerate the response file, the silent install on Vista works fine...

Has anyone got any ideas here? Is there anything funny with SdFeatureDialog2 on Vista in silent mode? Am I missing something else? This one's got me a bit stumped!

Thanks,

John
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
jhonsrid
Level 3

Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

John
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

You could use ProcessMon from SysInternals to see if the dialog triggers any access denied errors. You could get error -3 also if an unexpected dialog is displayed (one that hasn't been recorded), e.g. an error message box.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
jhonsrid
Level 3

Thanks for the information, - I'll use procmon to try and see what's going on...
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I find that the most common reason for this error is that the Finish dialog that is used during the recording is not the one displayed when run silently. For example, if you recorded the install and it showed the reboot dialog, then the install must show the reboot dialog during the silent run. If it instead shows the normal Finish dialog, the error will occur.

As a workaround Ihave used both dialogs in the same ISS file, but can not guarentee this will work in all cases.
0 Kudos